Under the supervision of the Contact Center Manager, the RN is responsible for answering calls for the after-hours UK Pediatric Triage Service and UKMDs. Calls will be triaged for pediatric caregivers. The triage nurse will also answer UKMDs calls and facilitate communication requests for internal and external physician callers, including requests for consults, transfers and referrals. This will involve interacting with the general public, medical professionals and the capacity command center. This job requires working with medical professionals who are working under time constraints, caring for patients who have experienced serious health events, and who expect a high level of efficiency, accuracy and courtesy from the individual processing their call. A working knowledge of hospital department and protocol, of medical terminology and procedures and general information regarding hospital programs and services will be needed to properly complete calls. Attention to detail, computer literacy, and ability to multi-task are required. The population involved may consist of infants, pediatrics, adolescents, adults and geriatrics.
Pediatric Triage RN
H4001:Ambulatory Patient Access Services
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
No experience required.
Required License/ Registration/Certification
This position requires regularly sitting at a computer workstation for extended periods of time, repetitive motions, and occasionally standing or walking with objects weighing up to 10 lbs.
Must be able to work evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays per departmental needs.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess strong computer skills.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
At least one year of experience as a staff RN preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a current/eligible Nurse's License for the state of Kentucky?
- * On what computer applications are you proficient?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you available to work evenings and/or nights?
- * Do you have experience with pediatric patients?
- * This position requires you to work evenings and/or nights. Are you able to meet the requirements of this position?
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter