Athletic Counselor/Coordinator of Life Skills
Athletic Counselor/Coordinator of Life Skills
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 1/29/2019
The West Valley College School of Health, Human Development, and Intercollegiate Athletics is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of Athletic Counselor and Coordinator of Life Skills. Reporting directly to the Dean of Health, Human Development, and Athletics, the primary assignment involves providing a wide range of educational, career and personal counseling to current and prospective college student athletes. This position will provide leadership in counseling related activities pertaining to student athletes at West Valley College including ensuring athletic eligibility by developing academic plans that align with the student athlete's goals and values. This position will also lead the life skills and mentoring program for student athletes. The assignment also includes curriculum and program development, participation in department, division, college committees, and participatory governance activities assuming leadership roles both with the department and in the institution as a whole; collaboration across disciplines and the leveraging of student support resources; and participation in ongoing professional development.
West Valley College, though just minutes from the heart of Silicon Valley, is in a beautiful park like setting on 143 wooded acres. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the state and our students appreciate the college for its friendly and supportive atmosphere.
West Valley College, a Bay Area leader in transfer, degree, and career programs, is searching for a counselor to be part of the leadership team in the School of Health, Human Development, and Athletics. With this new counseling position, the college endeavors to build on the strength of our committed faculty, outstanding resources, and strong academic reputation to establish the premier School of Health, Human Development, and Athletics.
Pursuant to our Educational and Facilities Master Plan, the college is committed to serving our diverse student body at all points along their academic journey, with a comprehensive curriculum and counseling experience designed to engage and inspire. The counselor will work with the entire Athletic Department, consisting of 12 teams, Kinesiology, Health Sciences, and Nutritional Sciences to build a sense of community and belonging for students, faculty, staff, and administration.
The assignment may be day, evening, weekend or off campus and is subject to change as needed. The ideal candidate for this position embraces the overall mission of West Valley College and the West Valley-Mission Community College District, with a clear, focused commitment to supporting teaching and academic excellence and student learning and success through the work of Counseling.
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, abilities and life experiences to address the educational needs of a diverse student body through the looking glass of equity and inclusiveness are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time, 11-month, tenure-track position that begins in Fall 2019. This position is represented by the West Valley-Mission Federation of Teachers (WVMFT / AFT Local 6554).
Work location: Athletics department, West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $64,631 to $100,582 annually; placement is based upon verified academic achievement, teaching and related experience (Academic Salary Schedule, Steps 1-9).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Employer paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- Sabbatical, Rejuvenation and Retraining Leaves.
- Banked leave provisions.
- Professional Growth and Development activities.
- 11 days sick leave accrued annually; personal necessity and catastrophic leave.
- Conference leaves.
- Opportunity for overload assignments.
- Cal STRS Retirement.
- Position is union affiliated.
1. Education - Possess one of the following:
- Master’s in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy or marriage, family and child counseling; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the above listed degrees AND a license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT); OR
- A valid California Community College Instructor’s Credential in Counseling; OR
- The equivalent of the above.
2. Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Counseling duties and responsibilities may consist of one or more of the following:
- Counsel and advise students, on both an appointment and a drop-in basis.
- Perform specialized work duties as necessary during registration periods.
- Provide formal in-service training.
- Participate in program/service development activities.
- Coordinate efforts of counseling faculty to complete Program Review and participate in the process of SLO assessment and evaluation and use the results of these assessments in the process of continuously improving student learning.
- Perform other duties as required for the department and/or college.
- Counselors may also be assigned to teach one or more counseling courses during a semester.
- Counselors have the option of teaching outside their primary area on an overload basis.
- Assume institutional responsibilities, essential to the ongoing operation and effective achievement of department, division, college and district programs.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency