Associate Vice President for Finance
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York, invites applications for the position of Associate Vice President for Finance.
Reporting to the Treasurer and Vice President for Finance and Administration, the Associate Vice President for Finance is responsible for the strategic direction and operations of the financial functions of FIT.
The Associate Vice President for Finance supervises the offices of Accounting and Controller, Budget, the Bursar, Payroll, and Purchasing. In addition, this position oversees the financial management of construction and capital projects and the operations of the college's financial management system. With six direct reports and an overall divisional staff of 60, the Associate Vice President for Finance ensures the prudent management of $230 million in annual operating revenues and expenses of the college, and more than $50 million in additional revenues and expenses of the college's related entities (FIT Foundation and FIT Student Housing Corporation). The financial management of capital projects totals an additional $250 million from public and private sources over multiple fiscal years.
- Develop strategies, procedures and policies that support efficient and effective operations of the financial functions of the college
- Cultivate an environment of meaningful analysis, establishing benchmarks to evaluate and set institutional direction
- Oversee the annual budget process within the context of FIT's strategic plan
- Supervise the annual audit and production of financial statements, as well as a four-year forward financial plan and annual capital plans
- With the Controller, ensure production of accurate and timely tax returns and efficient operations of Accounts Payable functions
- Ensure timely and accurate payrolls, along with the distribution of W-2s and necessary government filings
- Serve as the financial representative on management's collective bargaining team; offer fiscal guidance in crafting proposals and preparing cost analyses
- Assist with negotiation of benefit options that affect fringe rates
- Support operations of the Bursar's office, ensuring accurate student billing and residency determination, collection of all public support and financial aid, and excellence in customer service functions
- Conduct oversight of the Purchasing office, improving policies to deliver best practice procurement processes
- Oversee residence hall budgets under the auspices of the Student Housing Corporation
- Oversee development of the FIT Foundation budget and endowment reporting
- Interact with city and state agencies regarding funding, reporting and information sharing
- Maintain positive relationships with leadership of the college's academic and administrative divisions
- Prepare presentations for and attend and participate in meetings of the college's board of trustees, the FIT Foundation board of directors, and financial subcommittees
- Perform financial monitoring and review of $200 million in construction costs for a new academic building
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Treasurer and Vice President for Finance and Administration
- A master's degree in a relevant field or an equivalent professional certification such as a CPA
- At least ten years of experience managing the budget and finances of a complex organization, preferably in higher education or the public sector
- Strong management, analytic and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, including the ability to effectively communicate financial information to non-financial audiences
- The ability to work effectively with internal and external constituencies
- A broad understanding of current issues impacting financial operations in higher education
- The ability to promote collaboration among staff
- Experience implementing a new or upgraded financial software system preferred
- Knowledge of a collective bargaining environment preferred
Salary commensurate with experience.
For more information about the Fashion Institute of Technology, please visit www.fitnyc.edu.
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, and the email addresses and telephone numbers for three professional references.
Candidates are strongly urged to apply online at http://fitnyc.interviewexchange.com.
Candidates will be required to successfully complete a background check.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, [email protected]