Investment Tax Accountant
Investment Tax Accountant
Job Number: 81538
Job Code: 4442
Job Grade: H
Investment Tax Accountant
Consider all the lives saved over the many years as a result of Stanford's innovation in the medical field. Imagine a world without the internet and social platforms. Did you know Stanford pioneered the procedure for organ transplants and also created the first website in the United States? All of these advances and more, are a direct result of Stanford University's prominent faculty, researchers and alumni, who have revolutionized the way we live and enriched the world. Supporting this mission is Stanford's dedicated 16,000 staff, who come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere.
In a highly complex and constantly changing backdrop, the University Controller's Office is responsible for creating an environment which promotes innovative and sound business policies and practices that balance controls, compliance and customer service. Working together collaboratively, the approximately 95 professionals in the Controller's Office are responsible for a broad range of financial activities, including Capital Accounting, Financial Accounting and Reporting, Fund Accounting, Investment Accounting, Gift Securities, Payroll, Student Accounting, Business Expense, Quality Assurance and Tax Compliance.
The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that was signed into law in December 2017 has increased our tax compliance function especially as it relates to the excise tax on net investment income. In this challenging tax environment, we are looking for an individual to analyze, track and report on our tax compliance efforts. Understanding of the components of investment tax compliance such as partnership basis tracking, and investment fund taxable events is essential to this role. Within our culture of collaboration, you will be encouraged to refine and streamline processes, shaping the direction of this position and enhancing your opportunities for skill development. In this position, you will have the opportunity to work with both the tax compliance department and the investment accounting department to help support the University's efforts to comply with the TCJA.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE*:
- Maintaining investment tracking basis for all investments and supporting all compliance efforts related to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Assisting in the implementation of a new tax accounting system
- Reviewing and documenting tax processes and related systems to ensure compliance with internal control requirements
- Preparing current and deferred tax analyses for quarterly and year-end tax provision
- Preparing and reviewing of the excise tax return for Stanford and its affiliates
- Assisting with accurate and timely filing/remittance of tax payments
- Preparing monthly tax compliance reports and reconciliations
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS POSITION, YOU WILL BRING:
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field plus four years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience. CPA and/or Masters in Tax strongly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of corporate and partnership tax rules
- Understanding of alternative investments and their tax issues.
- Ability to analyze and synthesize complex data; high attention to detail.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly and effectively communicate information to and educate internal and external audiences and client groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to build relationships and work cross functionally
- Strong organization, planning and project management skills; ability to prioritize tasks to meet business requirements and deadlines
- Customer focused, with continuous improvement mindset, problem anticipation and resolution
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization and drive process improvements according to best practices while ensuring adherence to Stanford policies and all applicable laws and regulations.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft applications, such as Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU
Stanford University is one of the world's leading research universities, located in California's Bay Area, one of the most intellectually dynamic and culturally diverse areas of the nation. It is known for its entrepreneurial character, drawn from the legacy of its founders, Jane and Leland Stanford, and its relationship to Silicon Valley.
Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff whose jobs are important to supporting the university's mission. The campus brings departments together in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a child care center for Stanford families.
Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. As one of the greatest intellectual hubs in the world, take advantage of development programs, tuition reimbursement plus $800 you receive annually towards skill-building classes, or audit a Stanford course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. Create an avatar and participate in virtual reality adventures or join one with fellow staff on Stanford vacations!
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
HOW TO APPLY
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in tax and provide examples of your experience working on investment related tax matters.
Location: Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS), California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency