Food Service Worker I - Barista - Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries -Redwood City Campus
Food Service Worker I - Barista - Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries -Redwood City Campus
Job Number: 81553
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES: Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world. Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community in a sustainable and fiscally responsible manner. R&DE comprises 800+ staff in the following divisions: Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing Operations, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of four R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration including Information Technology, Human Resources, Strategic Communications, and Maintenance Operations & Capital Projects. R&DE houses 13,000+ students and their dependents while serving over 6.5 million meals annually to students, conference, catering, retail, and concession guests.
ABOUT STANFORD HOSPITALITY & AUXILIARIES: Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, a division within R&DE at Stanford University is committed to excellence and the highest level of customer service. It is recognized nationally for operating at “the cutting edge” of the industry receiving exceptional service ratings and numerous awards, including the Restaurant & Institutions Magazine Ivy Award for excellence in food service and hospitality. The Ivy Award is one of the industry's most prestigious and coveted awards, given to those operations that meet the highest standards of food, hospitality and service. With R&DE's vision “to be the best in the business” Stanford Hospitality and Auxiliaries is a Certified Green Business practicing sustainability in its purchasing and using equipment and processes that reduce solid waste and preserve natural resources. The highest Acterra Sustainability Award was received in 2006, in recognition of these initiatives. In early 2019, Stanford will be opening its Redwood City campus, the university's largest expansion to the original campus, which will house around 2,400 staff. Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries will be opening the Cardinal Cafe and catering services on this new campus, and is looking for outstanding hospitality staff to help in this exciting new venture. The Cardinal Cafe will be open to staff and the public, and will offer a variety of healthy and delicious breakfast and lunch options that include a beverage bar serving hand-made coffee, hot breakfast grill, Global Bowl bar, bountiful salad bar, a tasty vegan and vegetarian range, grass-fed beef burgers, flatbread pizzas, and a Market stocked with grab-and-go items. I. Summary of Position The Barista will be the ambassador of the beverage bar, responsible for the sourcing and development of a unique and customized barista program. The barista will be crafting specialty coffee and tea beverages, with exceptional presentation and unique coffee blends which are the main focus of the beverage bar. The barista will be certified in coffee sustainability initiatives, global sourcing, crafting, and development of custom blends to distinguish the coffee program from standard retail brands. They'll be proficient at creating visually appealing foam art, and understand milk velocity and how it relates to each beverage. The ideal candidate would have at least 2 years' experience, and be able to talk with confidence about types of beans, roasting techniques and the origins of coffees around the world. II. Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for sourcing and development of a unique and customized barista program
- Craft both standard and specialty coffee, tea and other beverages to a high standard using commercial and custom machines
- Understand milk velocity and apply it accordingly to each beverage for optimal taste/texture/temperature, and create beautiful foam art
- Explain and educate customers on the barista program by speaking with confidence about coffee bean origins and varieties, roasting and blending techniques, and pouring techniques
- Skillfully operate (and maintain) related brewing and steaming equipment for optimal performance and cleanliness.
- Welcomes and connects with every customer to provide excellent customer service.
- Listens, de-escalates and resolves basic customer problems
- Has a good understanding of all the various merchandise, food and products sold at the cafe and market to respond to customer and or/vendor questions
- Communicates problems/issues to manager (operational and customer service)
- Ensures signage and pricing match and are correct; reports any discrepancy to manager
- Handles cash and operates cash register and POS systems with proficiency and accuracy
- Tests beverages and food items for proper texture, temperature, doneness, and flavor.
- Records last minute menu changes
- Orders supplies from storeroom and prepares coffee and menu items
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area; washes and cleans all utensils, preparation equipment, counters required for production in the bar area
- Ensures that sanitation and food handling safety standards are followed and maintained
- Adheres to uniform guidelines and personal hygiene standards
- Communicates clearly with management and other personnel. Brings issues to their attention if needed for resolution. Ensures accurate information is provided to a management
- Able to multi-task.
- Completes other duties as assigned within classification. Follows established guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire. Complies with required food safety, sanitation and health standards
- Adheres to customer service relations standards, work rules, departmental policies and procedures, and performance standards. Anticipated Shift: The anticipated shifts are based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
- Monday - Friday: 6:00am-2:30pm
- Monday - Friday: 10:00am-6:30pm
- Proficient cash handling and transactional skills
- Detail oriented and cash handling accuracy are essential
- Excellent customer service relations skills with the ability to cultivate a positive retail experience for customers, staff, visitors and vendors
- Must demonstrate a “can do” attitude and foster positive relationships
- Strong team player as well as an individual contributor
- Strong technical skills, ability to use cash register and POS systems proficiently
- Must have proficient basic math to do simple math calculations
- Good understanding of retail merchandises, pricing, product flow
- Excellent written and oral communications skills to ensure signage accuracy and to communicate with customers, vendors and management with confidence
- Ability to resolve simple customer questions and/or complaints
- Regular attendance
- A minimum of 2 years' experience in the coffee industry, with an understanding of proper handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and beverage fundamentals (coffee storage, milk temping, machine cleaning)
- Possess in-depth and up-to-date working knowledge of and certification in coffee origins, global sourcing and sustainability initiatives, roasting techniques, and pour-over programs.
- Barista certification (e.g. from Barista Guild of America) IV. Physical Requirements GENERAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS Light to medium work. Exerting up to 25-50 pounds of lifting force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Subject to wet floors, temperature extremes, and excessive noise. Position frequently involves long hours and diverse duties. Must be able to bend, stoop and perform extensive walking. Must be able to exert well-paced mobility to move quickly to the different areas of the facility as service and production demands require. Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25 lbs pounds, must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (coffee machines, steamers, stoves, grills, ovens). ACTION TYPE JOB RELEVANCE FREQUENCY
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency