Archaeological Field Technician
Position InformationPosition Information Present Position NumberH0277WRole Code TitleHistorian/ Archeologist and Preservationist I Position TitleArchaeological Field TechnicianPosition Summary
Field crew member responsible for archaeological field survey, site evaluations, and data recovery excavations under supervision of supervisory CAR staff.Required Qualifications
1. BA in Anthropology, American Studies, History, or related field, as required by specific grant.
2. Completion of archaeological field school or equivalent work experience with archaeological fieldwork.
3. Working knowledge of standard archaeological survey and excavation methods.
4. Demonstrated attention to detail
5. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
1. Experience with archaeological field survey, evaluation, and data recovery projects in the context of cultural resource management.
2. Experience with archaeological field work and resources in Virginia and neighboring states.
3. Broad familiarity with material culture of Mid-Atlantic region.
U04Job Open Date09/26/2018Review Begin Date10/01/2018Job Close DateOpen Until FilledYesEmployment CategoryHourlyPosition TermOther (Specify Below)Special Application InstructionsConditions of Employment:
1. This position has a mixed work schedule, with staff scheduled to work on any of a variety of sponsored projects during a typical 5-day work week.
2. Frequent out-of-town travel during the regular work week, for which lodging and a per diem allowance are provided (though no lodging or per diem allowance are provided for weekends nor for work on local projects).
3. Archaeological Field Technicians must be able to work outdoors, often hiking long distances while carrying up to 30 lbs. of equipment including shovel, screen, and backpack under a variety of environmental conditions.
4. This is a restricted position subject to availability of funding.
5. This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act. This position may be subject to overtime, as necessary, directed, and approved by the supervisor.
6. The work involves a mixed schedule of local/daily-commute projects and out-of-town week-day work for which lodging and per diem is provided. Candidates are expected to be available for both local work (Williamsburg, VA) and out of town work with appropriate commuting accommodations.
The College of William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement
The College of William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Supplemental Question
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How would you characterize your level of experience with field archaeology with respect to standards and methods typically used in Virginia?
- Field experience with archaeology in an academic, volunteer, and/or interpretive setting (e.g., field school, research-driven projects, or other interpretive/educational projects) in areas other than Virginia
- Field experience with archaeology in an academic, volunteer, and/or interpretive setting (e.g., field school, research-driven projects, or other interpretive/educational projects) in Virginia
- Field experience in an applied archaeology setting (i.e., archaeological projects driven by regulatory compliance aka "cultural resource management") in areas/states other than Virginia
- Field experience in an applied archaeology setting (i.e., archaeological projects driven by regulatory compliance aka "cultural resource management") in Virginia
- * Do you have any experience with systematic shovel testing in archaeological survey?
- * Do you have accommodations within commuting distance of Williamsburg, VA?
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Other Doc
- Other 2