Histotechnologist (2 Positions)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pathology
Histotechnologist (2 Positions)
Position #747405 - Requisition 13797
The Department of Pathology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Histotechnologist (2 Positions) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Histotechnologist position is responsible for processing all specimens received in the Histology laboratory under minimal supervision. Specific duties to include but not limited to: preparing histological processing of all surgical pathology specimens in preparation for Pathologist review and diagnosis; receiving all histology specimens and processing them using various methodologies involving complex machinery and staining systems; preparing the slides for Pathologist review by cutting prepared blocks of tissue utilizing complex machinery; and staining slides whether with routine, special or immunohistochemical stains. This position will also label, enter and track the progress of the specimen until it reaches the Pathologist for diagnosis. This is extremely important in overall patient care as inappropriate processing, lost specimens or incorrectly labeled specimens can result in incorrect or unavailable diagnoses which can cause repeat procedures or life threatening treatment choices. This Histotechnologist will participate in the management of the histology area by maintaining inventory of supplies, cleaning and organizing of work, stations, disposal of biological waste, and adherence to all compliance and operational procedures. This position requires independent judgment in selection of methodologies utilized in processing tissue specimens and in solving routine problems. The Histotechnologist must be familiar with all laboratory policies and procedures. This position requires excellent interpersonal skills where customer service and responsibility to patient care is the priority.
Additional duties include documentation per CAP guidelines, communication with pathologists/residents and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions. This is not a supervisory position. However, this position will demonstrate communication of all problems and concerns to the Lead Histotechnologist and/or pertinent superiors. If there are no superiors present at the time, the employee shall handle the situation and immediately inform the Lead Histotechnologist upon arrival of the corrective actions taken.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Utilizes appropriate equipment with precision for all histological protocols.
- Performs complex staining techniques and demonstrates competency with immunohistochemical procedures to include in situ hybridization reactions.
- Performs computer data entry, recall, and labeling on complex pathology network (LIS).
- Performs routine preventative maintenance, cleaning, and minor adjustments on all lab equipment.
- Prepares and examine solutions for contamination, impurities, or instability.
- Follows procedures on all lab tests.
- Examines microscopically all stained slides and controls to determine accuracy of the last test and make modifications to the procedures as needed.
- Retrieves and stores specimens properly for long term storage.
- Assists in maintaining accreditation standards, to include all check sheets and quality control information sheets.
- Maintains archived Histological slides and blocks.
- Performs all procedures in a timely manner.
- Answer laboratory phone properly and take information correctly.
- Assists in the ordering of laboratory supplies to maintain proper inventory.
- Knowledgeable of all lab procedures and specimen submission requirements.
- Understand and use proper safety practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complete all UCD required training and compliance courses
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in a biological, health or social science or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- One (1) year of experience working in a clinical histology lab.
- Histotechnician or Histotechnologist Certification (HTL, ASCP).
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience or certification.
Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to...
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20 lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Work within a high-level secured facility.
- Three (3) years' of experience in a clinical histology lab.
- Immunohistochemistry Certification (QIHC, ASCP).
- Experience using laboratory equipment such as complex machinery and staining systems.
- Experience calculating lab results and data using math and analytical skills.
- Experience using MS Word and Excel. Preferred experience will include developing reports, spreadsheets, and databases using the mentioned software programs.
- Experience entering data into an electronic system.
- Experience with medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology.
- Experience purchasing and maintaining lab supplies.
- Experience cleaning and maintaining laboratories and lab equipment.
- Experience working within an educational medical lab environment in laboratories.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Highly motivated individual looking to pursue a long term career in histology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills where customer service and responsibility to patient care is the priority.
- Self-starter that demonstrates the ability to work individually with minimal supervision as well as part of a team of technologists, show proficiency at solving complex problems, and exhibit excellent computer skills (all Microsoft products and preferably QuickBooks).
- Willing and capable of learning new techniques relating to histology and molecular pathology.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds which also includes experience working with students, staff, and faculty, within a higher education and/or academic medical environment.
- Ability to interpret complex rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to listen and follow precise protocols and written instructions.
- Demonstrated ability to organize workload, file correctly by alphabetical and numerical order.
- Must possess a professional demeanor and have experience that demonstrates problem solving skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and use independent judgment to coordinate and meet multiple deadlines.
- Familiarity with HIPAA and security compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Joseph Wozniak at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20112 - SOM-Pathology
Posting Date: Jun 1, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joseph Wozniak
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00747405