Instructor-APP (NP or PA) Sarcoma Clinic; Medical Director (CARE) Clinical Assessment and Rapid Eva
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Instructor Advanced Practice Provider (APP)
NP-PA Sarcoma Clinic and
Medical Director (CARE) Clinical Assessment and
Rapid Evaluation Clinic
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Now hiring for a full-time Oncology Instructor, Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant position working within the University of Colorado Cancer Center Sarcoma and serving as the Medical Director for the CARE Clinics. The position is offered through the (Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, Colorado. The position will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure.
The Nurse Practitioner (NP) / Physician Assistant (PA) will be an active participant in clinical work seeing patients daily in Sarcoma Oncology clinics. As part of this clinic position, additional training as needed in active symptom control (palliative care) and clinical trials conduct will be provided. Initial orientation into the sarcoma program will involve working closely under the supervision of the sarcoma medical oncologists with the goal to function independently within 1-2 years. The mission of the Division of Medical Oncology is to provide the highest-level sarcoma care available, to perform cutting-edge cancer research, to provide first rate cancer education and to optimize clinician collegiality and collaboration.
The Medical Director of the Clinical Assessment and Rapid Evaluation (CARE) Clinic at University of Colorado Hospital (UCH) will oversee the operations and growth of the Clinical Assessment Rapid Evaluation (CARE) Clinic. The medical director will establish quality, operational, and growth initiatives and work with Cancer Center and Oncology Service line leadership to ensure efficiency and best practice within the CARE Clinic. This position reports to the Executive Director, Oncology Services, UCH; Executive Medical Director, Oncology Services, UCH; Division Head, Medical Oncology, UCD; Director of Advanced Practice, UCH (if the position is filled by an APP).
Instructor-Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant, Clinical Cancer Center, Sarcoma Center Clinic; Medical Director Clinical Assessment and Rapid Evaluation Clinic.
The position requires 100% effort working within the University of Colorado Cancer clinic. Note: The Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health care team. Role model professionalism through conduct, appearance, communication, mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
Supervision Received - The advanced practice provider will work under a collaborative agreement with a licensed oncologist physician.
Supervision Exercised - Supervision may be exercised as required for patient care.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The sarcoma faculty position is responsible for identifying, assessing, planning and coordinating services for ambulatory Sarcoma Adult oncology patients in the Sarcoma Oncology Clinic, thus fostering quality, continuity and appropriate utilization of health care resources throughout the continuum of care. Supervision may be exercised as required for patient care.
Examples of work performed includes the following job specific
- Manages the health care of patients in the Sarcoma Clinic.
- Attends weekly tumor board and assists in documentation of the tumor board plans
- Organizes and helps run the multidisciplinary sarcoma tumor clinic
- Performs a comprehensive health assessment, including health history, physical exams, preventive screening; identifies medical health risks and needs.
- Performs scheduled study-related visits, study screenings, and toxicity assessments of patients on phase I-III clinical trials.
- Formulates the appropriate differential diagnoses based on clinical evaluation.
- Performs, orders and/or interprets diagnostic studies within scope of practice and clinical area of practice at the University of Colorado Hospital location in Aurora, Colorado.
- Performs advanced technical procedures within the scope of clinical practice for the sarcoma program as well as other programs requesting procedures, according to schedule.
- Plans and implements therapeutic regimens that include both nursing and medical management strategies, including prescription of medications/devices.
- Establishes systematic follow-up for evaluation of the plan of care and reassesses and modifies the plan, as necessary, including initiation of referrals and consultation with physicians and other health care providers as appropriate.
- Evaluates emergent patient issues (e.g. acute medical problems) in sarcoma medical oncology patients, initially assessing and then communicating with the associated medical team as needed to evaluate and treated these patients as appropriate.
- Assures patient and family teaching is adequate to manage the illness or wellness plan at home.
- Facilitates client participation and promotes self-care by providing information needed to make decisions and choices.
- Facilitates appropriate utilization of the medical system in a cost effective manner without jeopardizing quality of care and service. May be involved in management of critical pathway and case management across the continuum of care as indicated.
- Participates as a team member in providing healthcare, interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care as a responsible professional.
- Demonstrates leadership skills and teaching abilities through the presentation of sarcoma oncology patient education programs. Attend sarcoma oncology multidisciplinary tumor conference, patient support groups, journal review meetings, continuing education nursing/medical conferences and other activities that promote professional growth and continuing education.
- Maintains accurate, legible, and confidential records for continuity of patient care and fulfillment of insurance billing requirements.
- Apply organizational policies, regulations and procedures in administration of patient care.
Core responsibilities of CARE Medical Director:
- Lead, with the CCI Practice Manager, the CCI Medical Director & CARE Clinic teams to deliver cancer care and treatment to patients within the CARE Clinic.
- Collaborate with Cancer Center leadership to establish annual quality, safety and performance improvement work plan with strategies, tactics, and measurable outcomes.
- Collaborate with Cancer Center leadership to manage provider relationships and provide individual provider feedback as appropriate to facilitate efficiency and throughput.
- Act as provider liaison with other departments and clinics throughout the Cancer Center regarding CARE clinic issues.
- Participate in communication and education about changes and processes within the CARE Clinic to the providers and staff within the Cancer Center.
- Assist with provider education and training (beacon/epic updates, interventional procedures and changes within the clinic that require provider involvement or practice changes).
- Serve as a sounding board for clinical decision making within the CARE Clinic.
Additional responsibilities (critical input, but not authority).
- Participate in strategic planning process for CARE Clinic as requested.
- Represent CARE on committees and at meetings as appropriate.
- Provide input on provider performance for reviews as requested.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing with a Master's Degree in Advanced Practice Nursing or a graduate of an accredited program in Physician Assistant Studies is required.
- Three years' experience as a PA is required.
- Current active license to practice in the state of Colorado as an Advanced Practice Nurse or Physician Assistant. Prescriptive authority is required.
- Currently credentialed as an APN or PA by the appropriate national certifying body.
- Three years' experience as a Clinical Nurse Practitioner is required.
- Basic life support (BLS) is required.
- Active ONS Chemotherapy/Biotherapy certified.
- AOCNP® Certified.
- Preferred (5) five years' experience as an Oncology Clinical Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
- Management experience is preferred.
- Experience in high patient volume Oncology practice/environment heavily preferred.
- Experience in Oncology with chemotherapeutics highly desired.
- Clinical experience with clinical trials is a plus.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15363. When applying, applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications; 2. A current Resume/CV; 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for 3-5 professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document; 4. Copy of unofficial transcripts; 5. Copy of a Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Certification. Important: Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process. Important; Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Dec 18, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756957