Professional Research Assistant
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Epidemiology
Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of Work
The Department of Epidemiology has an opening for a part-time 0.5 FTE (20 hours per week) Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to coordinate a newly funded prospective study to determine the impact of cannabis exposure during pregnancy on the infant brain. The PRA will be responsible for study recruitment, coordination of study visits, and collection of biological samples from mom and baby at obstetric units of University of Colorado Hospital and Denver Health. The PRA will also assist with MRI imaging visits of infants at 2 weeks of age at the CU Boulder campus. This position will also have data cleaning and analysis duties on a CDC-funded surveillance study of congenital heart defects.
The Department of Epidemiology in the Colorado School of Public Health offers training and research in cancer prevention, etiology and prevention of diabetes in youth and adults, disease tracking, genetic epidemiology, injury prevention, and many other specialties. The Department's mission is to provide high quality training in epidemiology, conduct cutting edge population research to advance science and knowledge about causes, consequences, prevention of disease and injury, and translate knowledge to promote health through advancing public health practice and policy.
The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing a vital contribution towards ensuring our region's health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, Colorado State University, and the University of Northern Colorado, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries.
Direct supervision by Tessa Crume, Associate Professor of Epidemiology.
Examples of Work Performed
- Study recruitment of pregnant women from obstetric clinics at University of Colorado Hospital at Anschutz Medical Campus and Denver Health.
- Conduct of clinical study visits including collection of non-invasive biological samples from infants (urine, cord blood, meconium).
- Collection and processing of biological samples.
- Assistance with MRI imaging visits conducted at the CU Boulder Imaging facility.
- Data collection and cleaning.
- Data entry, preparing data reports, running descriptive statistics, using databases (including RedCap).
- Medical record data abstraction.
- Writing protocols and Institutional Review Board (IRB) applications.
- Coordinating meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships with study participants, clinical staff and co-investigators.
- Ability to maintain excellent rapport with study subjects.
- Good organization and coordination skills.
- Good medical record abstraction skills.
Salary has been established at $23,000 for a 0.5 FTE.
- Bachelor's degree in a laboratory, public health or behavioral science field.
- 1 year of experience in clinical studies.
- Must be willing to drive to obstetrics units (at Anschutz and Denver Health) to collect samples and conduct imaging visits (in Boulder) on occasional nights and weekends.
- Experience with clinical pregnancy studies.
- Knowledge or experience with MRI imaging.
- Data analysis experience including RedCap and SAS.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Tessa Crume at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers . Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21434 - CSPH-Epidemiology General Ops
Posting Date: Dec 18, 2018
Closing Date: Dec 23, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Tessa Crume
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00757256