Lung Cancer Program-Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Lung Cancer Program Professional Research Assistant
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Now hiring! The UC School of Medicine, Division of Medical Oncology has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant (PRA) to work within a lung cancer research laboratory located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, CO.
Professional Field: Cell Biology, Cancer, Molecular Biology
Duties and Responsibilities: This position is a research technician position. Primary duties may include the following:
Independently or in collaboration with the PI, Erin Schenk, MD, PhD, to set up and perform experiments and procedures in support of lab goals. Contribute to the planning, design and modification of studies and experiments in support of laboratory goals. Maintain an accurate, thorough recording of experimental methods and results. Collect and enter data and perform initial data analysis. Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies. Order laboratory supplies and record each expenditure.
Specific duties may include:
- Immune assays including: performing and analyzing flow cytometry experiments, magnetic-activated cell sorting (MACS), ELISA/cytokine measurement, and T cell proliferation assays.
- Cell culture experiments utilizing freshly isolated immune cells and cell lines or primary tissue.
- Preparation of human and animal tissues, cells, and cell lines including propagation, freezing and maintenance of cell lines.
- Extraction and analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein from human and animal tissues. Animal care related to research.
- Training and supervision of laboratory personnel in experimental techniques.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree education in appropriate scientific field (biology, chemistry, or related health sciences).
- Minimum 1 year of previous research laboratory experience
- Experience with flow cytometry, mammalian cell culture, cellular and molecular biology techniques including RT-PCR and Western blots.
- Must feel comfortable to work independently on lab projects, internet research related to lab projects and develop and understand new lab techniques.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's) required:
- Working knowledge and basic understanding of biology, should be willing to learn a variety of lab techniques.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Master of Science degree education in appropriate scientific field (biology, chemistry, or related health sciences).
- Prior research lab experience preferred, in an immunology research lab is helpful.
- Experience with mouse models of cancer.
- Proficient level with MS Office software preferred, for daily email and assigned lab projects.
- Must be team-oriented, flexible, willing to ask questions to communicate and collaborate within the research lab environment.
- Ability to take direction and be self-motivated to coordinate various lab projects and meet deadlines.
- Show daily and continued interest to demonstrate successful planning and management skills in all assigned behavioral research and/or research projects working with lab team members effectively.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are ONLY accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID 15388. When applying, applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current Resume/CV and 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process. Important; Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Dec 18, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00757069