Farrier - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (108333)
Veterinary Teaching Hospital
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital seeks candidates for a Farrier position. This position requires interaction with students, faculty, clinicians, clients and other veterinary hospital staff on a daily basis with a professional and courteous demeanor. Employees in this class shoe and trim the hoofs of horses for corrective/therapeutic and routine purposes.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. performs equine corrective/therapeutic trimming and shoeing on horses that are conscious or anesthetized, including forging, nailing, gluing, and application of horseshoes;
2. performs lameness exams on horses; identifies the causes of laminitis;
3. assists in teaching techniques of the farrier trade to students;
4. organizes farrier demonstrations for open houses and other special occasions/projects;
5. maintains work area, tools, and inventory of products used;
6. collects and/or records information on horses such as treatment received, etc.
7. provides invoices to, and receives payments from, clients for farrier services;
8. performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or GED.
2. Two (2) years (24 months) of work experience as a farrier.
3. As required by position to be filled, current license/certification consistent with vehicles, machinery, and equipment that is routinely used in the general occupational area.
For more information about this classification:
This Farrier position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is Monday - Friday, days (40 hours per week, 12 months per year). The salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for Farrier. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver's license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Exam scores for this credential assessment will be based on materials submitted, rather than a written exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
Please monitor your email (including spam or junk mail) for testing and other correspondence from [email protected] and [email protected].
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Veterinary Teaching Hospital
Category: 8-Technical Technical
Title: Farrier - Veterinary Teaching Hospital (108333)
Open Date: 12/18/2018
Close Date: 01/02/2019
Organization Name: Veterinary Teaching Hospital