Lighting and Sound Technician
Job ID: 24803
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 0840
Department: Film and Theatre
Classification: Performing Arts Technician II
Salary Range: $3,489/month - $6,129/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Film & Theatre Department Chair, and receiving work lead direction from Lighting designers, Sound Designers, Directors, and the Technical Director, the F&T Lighting and Sound Technician requires general supervision but works independently to achieve specified outcomes. The Technician is responsible for the execution of lighting and sound for all stage and studio productions. As the primary lighting and sound technician and chief electrical safety officer, the Technician must follow the National Electrical Code and California Title 8 (California OSHA) safety requirements for electrical installations. The F&T Lighting and Sound Technician specializes in electricity, lighting, sound reinforcement and playback, and provides production support in the areas of television, radio, film, and theatre. The Technician works from verbal and written instructions and is responsible for the organization of projects, managing parts and supplies and the supervision of student assistants. The Technician is responsible for setting up, operating, repairing and performing maintenance on lighting, sound and special effects equipment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Execute stage lighting and sound designs with a priority of health and safety.
- Create, implement, and fabricate lighting, sound and special effects for Theatre, Film and TV
- Set up, calibrate and operate lighting, projection and sound equipment for productions.
- Function as Lighting and Sound Crew Chief for all student crews and coordinate with Stage
Managers during all tech rehearsals.
- Functions Lead Gaffer on selected film and video productions.
- Function as Electrical Safety Officer to ensure that the National Electrical Code and California
Title 8 (CalOSHA) safety requirements for electrical installations are followed.
Education and Experience
Professional training or applicable college coursework and two to three years of experience working for a theater, repertory or stock company engaged in the applicable production specialty such as costume construction, stage and set construction, lighting production, and/or sound/audio production.
- B.A. degree in Technical Theatre Arts/Drama
- Experience with basic electrical theory and safety.
- Experience with theatrical lighting and sound.
- Experience with basic television/film lighting.
- Experience with lighting and sound installations for theatre, studio productions and workshops.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of theatrical and/or television/film lighting.
- Ability to execute lighting and sound designs for theatre and studio productions as well as
- Knowledge of DMX systems and universes as well as Dante nextworks.
- Strong knowledge of current lighting, sound and projection hardware as well as associated
- Thorough knowledge of current ETC lighting control systems and digital audio consoles.
- Ability to see and distinguish the wide variety of color media and light values used in theatrical,
TV and film productions.
- Ability to work long hours within a flexible work schedule including evening and weekends.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- General knowledge of historical periods as they relate to the production specialty.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communication with
superiors, colleagues, students and external agencies.
- Thorough knowledge of basic electrical theory and safety.
- Foundation knowledge of the National Electrical Code and California Title 8 (California OSHA)
safety requirement for electrical installations.
- Thorough knowledge of safe practices of rigging and support systems.
- Thorough knowledge of the proper use of and the ability to wear fall arrest systems as they
pertain to theaters.
- Strong knowledge of lighting and sound software applications and database management for
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to assist in the training and supervision of students with limited knowledge, who are
engaged in the production process.
- Ability to assist with health and safety inspections, oversight and compliance of the facilities.
October 19, 2018
Application Screening begins November 5, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046