Assistant Professor of English (Faculty)
Doctorate degree in assigned area of specialty; and 2 years research experience.
Purpose of Job
The successful candidate will fulfill the customary duties of a full time assistant professor at Alcorn State University, including but not limited to teaching a 4/4 load comprised of composition courses, sophomore literature courses and upper level English courses.
Scope of Responsibilities
Faculty responsibilities include teaching a 4/4 load, being available to students for conferences and advising, participating in faculty governance and service to the university, and producing scholarship commensurate with rank and teaching responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
• Meet all scheduled classes on time;
• Maintain approved office hours;
• Attend faculty and committee meetings as required;
• Participate in departmental governance;
• Produce scholarship as required;
• Manage classroom skillfully;
• Attend special university functions as required.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Ability to use software such as Word, Excel, and Learning Management Systems
Ability to communicate effectively
Excellent organizational skills
Experience in working with low income and first generation students