Director of Student Activities
Marian University seeks qualified applicants for the position of Director of Student Activities. Reporting to the Vice President, Dean of Student Affairs, this position is primarily responsible for creating and coordinating student activities for all Marian University students to include overseeing the coordination of social, cultural, and educational programs. The Director advises the student government, student leadership development, and coordination of major campus wide events. The Director represents the interests of the Office of Student Activities and other on and off campus constituencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direction over Clubs and Organizations, Student Government (SGA), Marian University Planner, Orientation (secondary support), Leadership Development, Campus Activities Board (CAB), Budget Preparation for department.
- Recruits, trains and supervises a graduate assistant for Student Activities and Multicultural Programs and work study student(s), Creates a developmental experience for supervisees.
- Serves as primary advisor to the Student Government, the student body governing board. Attends SGA meetings and events and assists SGA in accomplishing goals and managing the disbursement of club funds based on SGA allocations.
- Serves as primary advisor to the Campus Activities Board. Maintains affiliation with the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities (APCA) or similar professional group. Attends meetings and events and assists CAB in selection and proposal of campus performers. Manages contract negotiation with local, regional, and national performers.
- Coordinates the publication of the annual Marian University Planner.
- Coordinates and collaborates in the planning and delivery of annual campus-wide events such as Welcome Week, Family Weekend, Activities Fair, Kids and Sibs weekend, Homecoming, Knight Daze, and Catholic High School Leadership Day.
- Collaborates with other offices in the planning and execution of campus wide service initiatives and annual campus events such as the Gala, MLK Day of Service, the Graduates’ Luau, and the Student Achievement Awards Program.
- Serves on various campus committees
- Serves as an active member of the Freshman Year Experience Committee (FYE). Collaborates with FYE partners to develop, implement and maintain FYE initiatives
- Supports the development of clubs and organizations and provides leadership development opportunities for faculty and staff who may wish to be organization advisors. Provides ongoing resources and assistance to student leaders and advisors.
- Support student wellness through alcohol awareness programs and programs through serving on the Indiana Coalition to End Sexual Assault (ICESA) Task Force
- Manage and administer Student Activities web platform, OrgSync while also training students, faculty, and staff of best practices and tool usage.
- Creates, maintains and distributes the publication of the Student Organization and Advisor Handbooks.
- Ensures the dissemination of information concerning student activities and events to the university community, including weekly Knightly News
- Advises graduate assistant in creating marketing information and collaborating with Marketing and Communication regarding projects and regular website updates.
- Meets regularly with the Vice President and Dean of Students and attends all Student Affairs/SSE staff meetings.
- Prepares annual budgets to provide adequate resources for the operation of the Office of Student Activities. Provides monthly budget update.
- Develops and implements a leadership development program for Marian University students.
- Pursues professional development through organizations and conferences.
- Collaborates with Residence Life and colleagues in the development of the Freshman Experience program and general campus activities
- Collaborates with Housing and Residence Life and Campus Ministry in developing a seamless and engaging activities experience on campus.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have:
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of Marian University.
- A master’s degree is required and 3 to 5 years of experience in student affairs or related field required.
- Must display a high level of energy and self-motivation as well as the ability to interact with a variety of individuals.
- Requires some evening and weekend work.
Located 10 minutes west of downtown Indianapolis, Marian University’s mission is to be a great Catholic university dedicated to providing students with excellent teaching and learning in the Franciscan and liberal arts tradition. Marian University was founded in 1937 by the Sisters of St. Francis, Oldenburg, Indiana, and the Franciscan Values that the Sisters ingrained into the university’s culture are still prevalent today. The university has experienced tremendous growth in the past 15 years under the leadership of President Daniel J. Elsener, including the opening of the Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2013 – the state’s first new medical school in 110 years. Marian University’s football team has captured the NAIA national championship in 2012 and 2015. In 2016 and 2017, the women’s basketball team won back-to-back NAIA national championships. Marian University is also home to the national’s most successful collegiate cycling program, which currently holds 42 USA Cycling collegiate national titles.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applications require a current resume, a letter of application, and names and addresses of three professional references. All applications should be submitted to [email protected].
Marian University is an EOE