Bionformatics Data Analyst I-KabosLab
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Breast Cancer Program Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Kabos Research Lab
Working Title: Bioinformatics Data Analyst I
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Now hiring for a full-time PRA with benefits. The candidate will work as a Bioinformatics Analyst I in the Division of Medical Oncology. The position is located within a research laboratory located at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. This position reports directly to Peter Kabos, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine, and is supervised both by the (PI) faculty investigator and research lab manager, who will also provide mentorship. This is a research technician position in the Kabos laboratory.
The PRA will conduct cutting-edge bioinformatics and translational cancer research. The laboratory uses preclinical model systems and clinical samples to answer biologically relevant questions in breast cancer. The candidate will be expected to participate in implement and if needed also develop novel bioinformatics and computational tools to assist the analysis and interpretation of high-throughput "omics" data.
The research will focus on breast cancer research, bioinformatics/computer science.
Examples of work performed (ordered in frequency of tasks):
- Applying bioinformatics tools to solve biologically relevant problems
- Implementing and if needed developing computational web-based tools
- Writing peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Managing the data server
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Foundation knowledge and excellent programming skills pertaining to bioinformatics research, basic database management skills. The finalist must have scientific paper writing skills. The candidate must be able to work in multi-tasking research environment.
- Strong computer programming (e.g. python/perl, C/C++, Java, Matlab/R) skills
- Strong database skills (e.g. Oracle, MySQL)
- Strong CGI-programming skills
- Excellent organizational and communication skills. Ability to work collaboratively is essential.
- Ability to develop new techniques and methods through literature searches and work effectively to assure rapid research progress.
- Ability to meet project deadlines
- Background in cancer research is beneficial, but not required.
Working Conditions / Hours: The position requires 100% effort working within the secured research laboratory and applicable facilities. Note; working in the evening or working on weekends may be required and reviewed on a project-by-project basis within the research laboratory. The position is exempt from overtime pay.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university a BS/BA degree required in relevant sciences field such as computational biology, bioinformatics or a related discipline (computer science, statistics, biology, physics, or mathematics).
- Strong ability to quickly adapt to new challenges, willingness to learn, attention to detail and ability to communicate with users and generate figures.
- Excellent communication and interaction skills, organizational and computer competency skills (MS Office), internet for official University of Colorado business use.
- The self-motivated and reliable candidate ideally will have significant bench research experience:
- Highly valued prior research experience working with bioinformatics, data mining, machine learning, protein structure and/or chemical structure is preferred.
- Preferably demonstrated scientific writing skills as outlined by previous successes in publishing peer-reviewed papers.
- Knowledge of python programming language is preferred.
- Experience with CGI-programming and Python is a plus. Experience in next-generation sequencing and microarray gene expression analyses (as evidenced by publications in peer-viewed journals) is a significant plus.
- Prefer finalist that is team-oriented, flexible, ability to work both independently and within a team environment as well as work effectively with time-sensitive data to meet deadlines.
- Prior experience preferred with ability to handle and process detail-oriented documentation and meet designated research deadlines.
- Successful work experience with research databases is desired.
- Demonstrated successful planning and management skills in behavioral research and/or research projects.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 15328 When applying, applicants must include: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2. A current Resume/CV 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional work references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document Please be advised that the University does check references as part of the employment process. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20214 - SOM-MED-Oncology
Posting Date: Dec 17, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Everlyn Sandoval
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756955