Wireless Network Engineer
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology
Wireless Network Engineer
Position #: 757132 Requisition # 15385
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents and partners.
Through our six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE), we make a difference.
Click here to find out more about the Office of Information Technology
The Office of Information Technology is seeking candidates for a Wireless Network Engineer, a full-time university staff (non-classified) exempt position. This position builds and maintains the wireless network for AMC, DC and all connected remote sites; work requires discretion, attention-to-detail, and creativity. Expertise required with Cisco Wireless Controllers, Cisco Prime Infrastructure, Aruba and all related wireless access points and POE+ switches. Provides wireless troubleshooting expertise at all levels; data is complicated and requires analysis. Necessary expertise with various hardware platforms utilizing Spectrum Analyzer software and expert knowledge of RF signals and bands. Be a resource to train others and explain work processes to people inside as well as outside the department. Performs supervisory elements to assigned student workers and contractors.
Examples of Work Performed:
All wireless configuration and management duties were consolidated into this position including the following activities:
- Configure, install and maintain wireless controllers for both campuses and additional sites as needed.
- Maintain management software with maps and access device locations for all campuses and remote locations.
- Oversee installation of all wireless devices and services in new buildings and new remote sites.
- Build and maintain SSID's for multiple applications and locations.
- Maintain the AurariaNet system for cooperative broadcasting of secured wireless for AHEC, Metro State University, CCD and CU Denver, and work with the representatives from those institutions, in our cooperative efforts through the ACTC Subcommittee on Wireless and Standards.
- Install and maintain software to assist with Location Services in the wireless network.
- Utilize various hardware platforms with Spectrum Analyzer software to continually improve and troubleshoot the wireless network.
- Work with University departments, schools and affiliates in troubleshooting and maintenance of all wireless networking to meet their needs.
- Functions as the staff authority and provides expertise in the area of wireless infrastructure and performance.
- As a staff authority delivers a guidance, wireless architectural and engineering design for existing and new installations.
- Written plans to customers about the current level of service, and the needed changes requires documentation and proposal.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $65,000 - $75,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
* Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
* Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field
- Two years' experience working in information technology with focus on wifi or networking fields.
- Work experience in the occupational field or specialized subject area of the work assigned to the job may be substituted on a year-for-year basis for the degree.
Conditions of Employment:
Must be willing and able to travel between campuses (Denver Campus and Anschutz Medical Campus)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- 4 years of experience in Ethernet wireless field
- 2 years additional in networking field, understanding switching fabric as well as routing.
- CCNA, CCNA-Wireless, CWNP (CWS, CWT, CWTS, CWNA etc..) and CCNP wireless is a plus
- SolarWinds Experience a plus
- Outdoor wifi deployment experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- LAN/WAN, LWAPP, TCP/IP, VPN, VoIP, Ethernet, IPv4 and IPv6
- 802.11, 802.11n, 802.11ac, WLAN site surveys (Eckahau or AirMagnet)
- Experience with wireless controllers with cisco or aruba
- Experience with wireless management platforms
- Extensive customer service and troubleshooting experience
- Superior proficiency with e-mail Internet and MS Office applications such as Word Access and Excel
- Strong skills in building professional relationships with a diverse customer base
- Outstanding facility in explaining and develop solutions, product benefits and features
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High problem-solving skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to OIT Human Resources at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60131 - ADM-AVCOIT Administration
Posting Date: Dec 17, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: [email protected]
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00757132