Biological Sciences - 121100
Is this an internal posting only?
The Biological Sciences Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Research Assistant to join our team. Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Caring for plants and monitoring the health of plants for problems including those related to pests, water, soil and fertilizer.
* Aiding in analysis of transgenic plants, collecting and storing relevant data pertaining to the analyses.
* Preparing solutions and culture media for various laboratory needs.
* Harvesting, sterilizing, storing, and planting seeds, and transferring plants between media and soil as needed. Label all seeds, plates and plants clearly and accurately and maintain a written record of seeds and plants.
* Performing molecular biology laboratory tasks, including cloning, DNA extraction, PCR, and other tasks as needed.
* Using appropriate sterile techniques. Maintain a clean laboratory bench and plant growth room space at all times.
* Maintaining general organization of the lab, including re-ordering supplies and reagents, maintaining inventories and ensuring compliance with regulations.
* Maintaining current safety training records.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's degree with major course work in the field of assignment, and two years related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills:
* Knowledge of scientific research techniques, methods and procedures.
* Working knowledge of equipment used in related fields of research.
* Considerable knowledge of health, safety, and security precautions in keeping with type of research being done.
* Ability to set up and operate research instrumentation and equipment. Ability
to make accurate assays and to prepare reports, charts, or graphs on results.
* Ability to work effectively with fellow researchers, staff members, faculty, supervisors and students.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Plant Biology, or related field.
* Some laboratory experience, preferably in molecular biology.
* Plant growth experience desirable, but not essential.
* Good organizational skills.
* Good verbal and written communication skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and contact information of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting