Lecturer/Director of Mathematics
Lecturer/Director of Mathematics
The Department of Mathematics is a unit of the University of San Diego's College of Arts and Sciences. The department offers three tracks - mathematics, mathematics with applied emphasis, and mathematics with an emphasis in secondary education - along with a minor in mathematics, available for students with any major. The mathematics major with the secondary education emphasis is a state-approved subject matter preparation program leading to a teaching credential in mathematics. The department provides significant amount of service to other academic units in the College and the University. Students with various majors take mathematics courses. The department's goals are aligned with those of the University and the College through their focus on academic excellence, advancing intellectual development, expanding knowledge, creating a welcoming, inclusive and collaborative community of students and scholars, and contributing to values-based education.
Rank: Adjunct, contract to be renewed annually
Implements and maintains the math department student Math Placement processing.
- facilitating and promoting high-quality tutoring or peer education practices
- supporting the instructional needs of the faculty and students working in and with the MLC
- mentoring and evaluating tutoring performance
- representing USD in the national discussion on higher education tutoring and advancing the visibility of the MLC at USD
- facilitating the ongoing integration of academic support services within MLC as well as with other units on campus that provide related academic support to students
- providing administrative and budgetary oversight of the MLC
- strong record of experience with teaching, service, and tutoring practice
- ability to create and guide assessment efforts, including assessing data regarding student learning, coordinating appropriate interventions, and sharing outcomes with constituents
16 instructional units
Sixteen instructional units will be allocated across the academic year.
- 2 units will be to teach the Math 498 - MLC internship one unit class twice.
One per semester.
- 14 units will be to teach math courses distributed across the academic year in varying ways. The course assignment will be assigned by the chair and load will be dependent upon department scheduling need.
8 administrative units
- 6.5 units will be for MLC Director administrative work, including working with centers on campus.
- 1.5 units will be for Math Placement Processing administrative work. (Maybe will decrease after initial startup costs.)
- Oversight of tutors
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application.
Please include the following:
a) A cover letter that explains why you are interested in applying for this position at USD
c) teaching statement, including experience and principles underlying pedagogical practice
d) administrative statement, including any experience relevant to this position.
Position will be open until filled.
Contact: Lynn McGrath, [email protected]
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit http://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/492477/lecturer-in-mathematics-and-director-of-mathematics-learning-center-and-math-placement-processingadjunct
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency