Adjunct Library Faculty
Elgin Community College
Adjunct Library Faculty
Elgin Community College (ECC) is a comprehensive, fully accredited community college located in Elgin, Illinois, one of its most rapidly growing cities. Our district encompasses 360 square miles, serving 400,000 people, 11,000 businesses with four public school districts and 15 high schools. ECC was selected as one of five Illinois community colleges to participate in the national Achieving the Dream (AtD) initiative. is a long-term national initiative that collaborates with community colleges to help more students earn degrees, complete certificates, or transfer to four-year institutions to continue their studies. The park-like setting of our 145 acre Main Campus offers instruction spanning nine major buildings with beautiful views. ECC also offers classes throughout the northwest suburbs of Chicago with more than 100 off-campus locations.
Adjunct librarians provide reference service to library patrons, bibliographic instruction to individuals and classes, help maintain the library databases including the catalog, support inter-library loan, circulation and periodical services with assistance as needed to help ensure students academic success as well as provide them with lifelong information-finding skills.
Reference Service to Library Patrons
1. Conduct reference interview to determine patron's information needs.
2. Assist patron in research with appropriate tools and materials.
Provide Library Information Literacy Instruction to Classes
1. Coordinate and plan library information literacy instruction with faculty.
2. Provide library information literacy instruction to students.
Assist Circulation Staff
1. Provide back-up service for circulation staff.
2. Help establish work procedures for circulation staff.
Develop Library Publicity
1. Develop information materials.
2. Create library exhibits.
3. Create bibliographies of library materials.
Assist with Collection Maintenance
1. Catalog new materials and help maintain electronic databases.
2. Weed titles from collection.
3. Suggest titles to add to collection.
Participate in Library Routines
1. Assist in the development and revision of library policies and procedures.
2. Assist in the development and revision of library mission statement and goals.
3. Help compile data for internal and external report.s
4. Participate in hiring of library staff.
5. Help coordinate library services with other College areas.
Participate in Professional Development
1. Keep current on research and technologies in assigned specialties.
2. Participate in professional growth activities.
3. Participate in professional organizations.
Participate in Institutional Routines
1. Serve on standing committees.
2. Serve on ad hoc committees (for example, search or other department committees).
3. Attend College-wide faculty meetings.
A master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution.
For a detailed job posting and to apply, please visit our web site at:
Elgin Community College is an Equal Employment, Equal Access Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce.