Research Scientist (Open Rank)
Educational Testing Service (ETS), with headquarters in Princeton, NJ, is a global not for profit organization whose mission is to advance quality and equity in education. With more than 3,400 global employees, we develop, administer and score more than 50 million tests annually in more than 180 countries at more than 9,000 locations worldwide. We design our assessments with industry-leading insight, rigorous research and an uncompromising commitment to quality so that we can help education and workplace communities make informed decisions.
Our English Language Learning and Assessment (ELLA) Center, which aims to advance foundational knowledge and improve practices in assessing English language proficiency in academia and the workplace, is seeking a Research Scientist. The Center consists of scientists, managers, and associates from a variety of backgrounds who conduct research on assessments for English learners in the U.S. and abroad and develops knowledge and capabilities to support English language education. The Center also provides research support for English language products and services including the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) and the TOEIC (Test of English for International Communication) families.
This is a key position particularly oriented towards a scientist with expertise and experience in language curriculum and materials development and evaluation, instructional design, adaptive learning, technology-mediated language learning/teaching, and language teacher development.
- Conceptualize, propose, obtain funding for, and direct projects related to English language learning and assessment. Projects may include (1) research projects; (2) development projects that use scientific principles to create (a) tools to improve the efficiency or quality of the practice of test development or statistical analysis; (b) innovative item types; or (c) the scoring of responses to open-ended items; and (3) development projects that use scientific principles to create new products or product prototypes.
- Collaborate with teams in Research, Assessment Development, Statistical Analysis, and New Product Development to design, prototype, and evaluate instructional and assessment materials that meet the needs of international English language learners, teachers, and systems of education.
- Interact with international clients to determine their needs, design solutions, and deliver effective products and services.
- Evaluate products and services related to English language education in the global market.
- Advise on best practices and identify opportunities for innovation in international English language education.
- Ph. D. or Ed.D. in Applied Linguistics, Language Education (TESOL), Second Language Acquisition, Educational Technology, or similar is required.
- Three years of progressively independent research and/or development experience required. Candidates with less or more experience will be considered for the appropriate level position.
- We are particularly interested in scientists with expertise in second language acquisition research applied to English language curriculum and materials development and evaluation, instructional design, pedagogic and assessment task design, adaptive learning, technology-mediated language learning/teaching, language teacher development, and language test design.
- We are also interested in candidates with expertise/experience in research on either young language learners (K-6) or adolescent/adult language learners.
We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, possible relocation assistance and excellent opportunities for professional and personal growth. For a full list of position responsibilities and to apply please visit the following link: Research Scientist (Open Rank)
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Women and Minorities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
EDUCATIONAL TESTING SERVICE is a Drug-free workplace.