Domicile Certifications Specialist
Domicile Certifications Specialist
The George Mason University Office of the University Registrar invites applicants for Enrollment and Domicile Certification Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason's academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The main responsibility of this position is to serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in all legal matters and adjudications of Virginia domicile, decide complex, intermediate-level domicile appeals in accordance with legislation, university policies, and other applicable guidance; Provide information regarding official verifications of degree awards and enrollment status, referring students to online request system using Patriot Web and referring third parties to the National Student Clearinghouse (Clearinghouse).
This individual will provide high-level, customer-oriented services to students, faculty and administrative customers while balancing competing needs of various constituencies as fairly as possible and within the confines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, applicable federal and Virginia laws, and institutional guidance.
Presently, duties are primarily performed from the Fairfax campus, 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Major Position Functions:
- Process intermediate-level domicile appeals in accordance with Virginia law, SCHEV domicile guidelines, federal law and regulations, ensuring fair and timely adjudication. Ensure appeals and supporting documentation is saved in the student's record.
- Prepare background information and files to the Domicile 3rd level.
- Conduct audits to determine ongoing student domicile eligibility.
- Provide guidance to students in person, via email and on the phone regarding the domicile appeal process, while ensuring compliance with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Work with University Counsel's Office, as needed, in domicile cases that are appealed to the Virginia Circuit Court or beyond.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on the most complicated domicile-related questions in response to inquiries from other departments, partners, and external parties as required.
- Assess the impact of new legislation on the university as it relates to domicile decisions and related functions.
- Initiate reports (using data solutions such as Microstrategy, and data spreadsheets, e.g., Excel) to monitor and track results of audits.
- Collaborate with other departments throughout the university to provide guidance on complex domicile-related issues and concerns.
- Assist supervisors in developing outreach and communication plans and practices associated with new legislation or other significant changes to student eligibility for in-state tuition.
- As needed, develop strategic policies, procedures and practices to improve efficiency/ effectiveness of certification processes.
- Provide periodic trainings to campus domicile decision-makers.
- Update forms, websites, and documentation as necessary and/or directed by the Assistant Registrar.
- Provide information regarding official enrollment and degree verifications, referring students to online request system using Patriot Web and referring third parties to the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC).
- Receive subpoenas issued to the office and provide administrative support for processing, as needed. Gather student records upon request from University Counsel.
- Provide loan deferment services to customers and monitor online inquiries from the Clearinghouse. Provide last known addresses of former students for skip trace requests from lenders to decrease loan default rates.
- Process special requests for full time equivalency status, international authentication for apostille and other similar matters; serve as a notary public.
- Provide high-quality and responsive customer and stakeholder services;
- Collaborate effectively with all involved offices and officials;
- Provide assigned services and office support, including efforts to improve office operations and enhance efficiencies.
- Serve as a functional back-up in the area of enrollment verifications and degree certifications.
- Update forms, websites, and documentation as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the Registrar from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Bachelor's degree or a combination of education and experience;
- Experience analyzing state and federal laws, and implementing complex regulatory policies.
- Experience editing documentation in Adobe Acrobat;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Customer service experience and strong social skills, especially in dealing with assertive clientele and sensitive matters;
- Demonstrated ability to process work during periods of high demand;
- Willing to perform other duties as assigned;
- J.D. or other advanced degree in a related area (e.g. public policy, law, compliance);
- Experience presenting complicated information to diverse audiences to educate orally or in writing;
- Experience with maintaining and using student data and reporting systems (e.g. Banner);
- Experience creating and updating websites using WordPress or similar software;
- Experience in preparing for agency annual oversight audits, including generating reports using software systems, and creating dashboards for sharing findings;
- Experience working as a domicile appeal officer at an institution of higher learning.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants can apply for position number 00942Z at http://jobs.gmu.edu by January 11, 2019; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/c67frm5kx7fwxkpc