Undergraduate Programs Administrative Specialist
Job ID: 24793
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: College of Business
Classification: Administrative Analyst
Salary Range: $3,288/month - $6,162/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs, the Undergraduate Programs Administrative Support Specialist performs duties under general supervision and works independently to achieve specified outcomes. This position supports all responsibilities that fall under the purview of the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs and also provides high level comprehensive administrative support to the Dean's office, working in partnership with the Dean's Executive Assistant and other office staff. This position helps with the implementation of day-to-day operations of the College, including programs, events, and activities. Key tasks include administration of the college's scholarship program, coordination of building maintenance and renovation, enrollment management operations, general administrative support (such as college calendaring related to campus processes), financial processing (such as related to Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs travel), and office operations.
In addition, this position requires communicating with multiple internal and external constituents of the college. Other duties and projects essential to the efficient operations of the College and successful implementation of student success programs, as determined by the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manages all programs, initiatives and activities that fall within the purview of the Associate
Dean, Undergraduate Programs.
- Provides comprehensive administrative support to the Dean's office.
- Coordinates all day-to-day operations of the college including executive support functions such
as coordinating meetings and appointments, serving as back-up to the Executive Assistant to
the Dean, answering phone calls and directing visitors, faculty and students.
- Prepares documents/memos and generates reports using necessary software (Microsoft office
and other cloud applications as appropriate), as well as PeopleSoft, FTS, CFS and other
systems used by the university.
- Creates and maintains physical and digital filing of documentation related to the workflow and
operations of the office.
- Manages travel plans and expenses for the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Programs;
processes travel plans, including assisting in securing airfare and hotel accommodations and
preparing and processing appropriate paperwork associated with travel; reconciling travel
expense transactions and reimbursements in accordance with university policies.
- Handles expenses related to purchases of dean's office supplies, catering for meetings etc.
- Provides administrative and financial processing support for hiring, payment, and tracking the
hours of dean's office funded student assistants (such as Dean's office support and Centers).
- Responsible for the development and maintenance of reports to track awarded balances in the
funds that support student assistants.
- Responsible for managing and coordinating building access, building maintenance requests,
and building upkeep issues, that require interface with facilities (FD&O).
- Responsible for the processing, enhancement, maintenance of systems to award scholarships.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Experience in managing multiple responsibilities and roles.
- Experience in Microsoft Excel and other Office applications.
- Strong written communication.
- Experience working with students in a university environment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to learn and work with Microsoft Office, Peoplesoft, FTS, and CFS data warehouse
systems, messaging and report generation tools.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to address and work on multiple priorities/projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to compile, write, and present summaries and reports.
- Ability to work with data and spreadsheets.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with constituents
and ability to interface with senior business management, community and corporate partners.
- Strong professionalism, customer service orientation and emotional intelligence.
- Ability to proactively solve problems and address issues as they arise.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive information with discretion.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgement.
- Ability to learn, interpret, and apply a wide variety of policies and procedures relating to and
impacting the program or organizational unit.
October 15, 2018
Application Screening begins October 31, 2018.
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of Interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046