Job ID: 24862
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3079
Department: Computer Engineering
Classification: Student Services Professional IB
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,685/month - $4,000/month
Salary Range: $3,685/month - $5,213/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jos State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/up/all/benefits/
About the Position
The Academic Advisor will work under general supervision to provide academic advising to students in the Computer Engineering Department. Such services include guiding entering and continuing students through academic planning and successful paths to graduation, helping students find solutions for issues they may face, informing students about and authorizing students for relevant university policies, services and resources, developing student orientation programs, events, and projects, and coordinating with relevant university constituents to address student needs.
- Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration, or a job-related field.
- Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis. Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of one year of experience in professional Student Services work at the entry trainee level. Equivalent amounts of graduate level job-related education may be substituted for the required experience.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- Bachelor's Degree in one of the behavioral sciences, public administration, or business administration.
- Academic advising experience in engineering or STEM majors
- Experience in general education and articulation requirements in the California public higher education system.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge facilitating communication within a large organization.
- Ability to learn and keep current about information and laws relevant to immigration and study abroad policies.
- Knowledge with university-level communication and/or ability to learn and communicate university level policies.
- Ability to use technology tools for advising as appropriate.
- Familiarity with the engineering profession.
- Ability to drive on university business.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver's license.
December 14, 2018
Application Screening begins January 7, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046