Digital Marketing Developer
The CU Office of Advancement manages and coordinates administrative functions to support the campus-based fundraising field staff. These functions include communications, database management, estate gift planning, gift processing, marketing, research and other services. These centralized services place the institution in an optimal position to attract substantial support from the philanthropic sector.
Reporting to the Director of Digital Engagement, the Digital Marketing Developer serves as a web developer and programmer supporting the digital marketing initiatives of the University of Colorado Office of Advancement. The Digital Engagement team is an innovative and versatile group of marketers and technical specialists whose mission is to drive and support adoption of modern, sophisticated digital technologies and strategies in CU's advancement and fundraising efforts. This role will work collaboratively across multiple functional areas to design and develop the code-based solutions necessary to bring our marketing initiatives to life across all digital channels, including CU's giving website and Salesforce email marketing platform.
Specific areas of focus include, but are not limited to:
- Developing new web applications and features
- Extending functionality of existing engagement tools and applications
- Creating dynamic and interactive experiences across web and email
- Implementing back-end integrations for automation, tracking and data analysis
- Monitoring and maintaining performance of digital channels
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborate on special web and email marketing projects for CU Advancement and the CU Foundation, working with internal partners and external vendors as necessary.
- Work with UX developers, designers and content creators to review, develop, design, test, implement and maintain new features and functionality for the Drupal-based giving.cu.edu website.
- Develop apps and scripts for digital engagement platforms (e.g. Drupal, Salesforce) to support email campaign automation, content personalization, marketing intelligence, and data analysis.
- Execute small-scale, rapid code deployments in support of ongoing iterative testing and optimization of digital engagement channels and strategies.
- Integrate digital channels and properties with internal and third-party platforms (e.g. Salesforce, Google Analytics, Authorize.net) via custom programs, Web APIs and platform-specific scripts.
- Proactively scope and present new ideas to improve the web and digital engagement experience for constituents.
- Plan and manage projects in coordination with Digital Engagement team members and other project partners and stakeholders, including providing discreet task lists, and tracking and communicating progress and issues throughout.
- Support testing, documentation, and maintenance of digital marketing applications and tools, including developing new processes, identifying issues, and providing solutions.
- Support the continued expansion of CU Advancement's integrated digital engagement channels and efforts, including crowdfunding, texting, and social media.
- Optimize digital platforms and improve overall functionality and user experience by proactively scoping and presenting new ideas, fixing bugs, and addressing usability issues.
- Assist with basic internal and external user support, as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of common web programming languages and development best practices.
- Knowledge in web data architecture and technical reporting and analysis.
- Skilled in technology development, design, testing, implementation, and maintenance.
- Ability and skill to analyze data and logs to troubleshoot and identify trends, errors, and bugs.
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients, partners, and vendors to interpret and evaluate user requirements and develop effective solutions.
- Ability to plan and manage projects and tasks to ensure deliverables are on time.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and manage frequent requests from all levels of users, each having their own timelines and constraints.
- Ability to clearly articulate technical and business process-related concepts to groups and individuals with varying ranges of technical literacy.
- Ability to identify inefficiencies in technology and processes and recommend solutions.
- Excellent creative problem-solving skills and ability to think "outside the box".
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and interpersonal/customer-relations skill.
- Ability to work in an agile, small-team environment and taking independent initiative when necessary.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Broomfield. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: Salary is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted by related professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Three (3) years of experience in web/app programming and development, which must include:
- One (1) year of experience in:
- Experience working alongside multiple developers using local and virtual environments in a distributed version control system (e.g. GIT, SVN, bitbucket)
- Use of command line interface, shell scripting tools and JS task runners (e.g. Gulp, Grunt).
- Experience developing for a major Content Management System (e.g. Drupal, Wordpress)
- Experience developing for responsive and mobile environments
- Experience with other development languages, environments, and libraries, such as:
- API's and RESTful systems integrations
- Saleforce Apex and AMPScript
- .Net frame Visual Basic and C#
- Experience implementing and/or working with third-party digital marketing, analytics, and development tools, such as:
- Digital Marketing platforms (e.g. ExactTarget, Marketing Cloud, Marketo, Pardot, Hubspot)
- Google Analytics or Adobe Analytics
- Tag managers (e.g. Google Tag Manager)
- User testing tools (e.g. Google Optimize, Optimizely, AB Tasty)
- Online/Social advertising (e.g. tracking pixels, Google Search Ads, social media plugins, Facebook advertising)
- Experience developing for Drupal websites
- Experience with Salesforce or similar constituent relationship management (CRM) system
- Experience with ecommerce websites, online payments, and online data security
- Experience working in a university environment
- Experience working in a fundraising environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by 12/27/2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50206 - Advancement Operations
Posting Date: Dec 14, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Josh Brumley
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002362