Job Number: 81477
Job Code: 4845
Position Title: Director/Associate Director, Communications
Department: Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (DAPER)
Reports to: Assistant Athletic Director, Communications
Salary: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience
Closing Info: Open until filled
Stanford's Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation (“DAPER”) is the premier intercollegiate athletic program in the country. We are the proud Home of Champions! We lead the nation with 117 NCAA championship titles, completed an unprecedented sweep of both the men's and women's Capital One Cups, and brought home the Learfield Director's Cup for 24 straight years. We support nearly 900 student-athletes who compete on 36 intercollegiate athletics teams and also support the university's physical education, recreation and wellness initiatives. Our dedicated staff embody a culture of excellence, embrace our mission of scholar-athleticism and exemplify a relentless championship spirit. Our actions and staff are guided by the core tenets of the Athletics Department culture, “The DAPER Way”, which are: Embrace Scholar-Athleticism, Pursue and Revere Excellence, Lead with Courage, and Work Cohesively.
Are you ready to inspire champions? If yes, then this may be the right opportunity for you!
Stanford University seeks a highly-motivated, energetic and team-oriented individual with exemplary communication skills. Serving as a designated media liaison with independent decision-making authority, the successful candidate will be directly responsible for leading and executing all communications initiatives as the primary contact for football, in addition to a spring sport to be assigned.
Please note: This position will be filled at either the Director or Associate Director level, based on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
Your responsibilities will include:
Develop the vision, strategy and brand for assigned sport programs by maintaining social media accounts, developing content calendars and collaborating with other units to create and design artwork, graphics and content for a variety of platforms. Incorporate key messaging points into daily content through a proactive approach and digital-forward growth mindset, consistent with the objectives outlined in DAPER's Strategic Plan.
Serve as the lead multimedia liaison between assigned sport programs and the External Relations department. Solicit feedback from sport programs and External Relations colleagues on objectives, goals and strategies, in addition to creation and distribution of content. Facilitate multimedia student-athlete features in coordination with other departments.
You will have additional areas of functional leadership among the staff, examples may include but are limited to: management of photography contract, liaison to Academic Services and Compliance staff, coordination of national/conference awards program or curation of daily morning e-newsletter. Assist in mentoring Athletics Communications interns, junior team members and/or contingent staff.
Responsible for the public relations functions for assigned sports. Design, write and edit various communications materials, such as student-athlete bios, press releases and feature stories for the department's website conveying the voice of the coach, student athletes and the program.
Develop and maintain positive working relationships with local, regional and national media covering Stanford Athletics. Promote student-athletes and coaches for national and conference awards. Coordinate content requests to and from Pac-12 Enterprises and Pac-12 Networks. Identify and create narratives surrounding programs, student-athletes and coaches. Facilitate interviews and initiate media coverage by preparing logistics, materials and talking points to announcers. Maintain an ongoing understanding of industry trends, innovative platforms and emerging media in a rapidly changing profession.
Manage current and historical team information (rosters, statistics, record, photos, videos) of assigned sports.
To be successful in this role you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and four years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated skills at building collaborative relationships with internal colleagues and customers.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to meet expected deadlines and schedules.
- Effective time management skills.
- Demonstrated aptitude in social media. Familiarity with managing accounts and serving as the primary administrator.
- Advanced graphic design and non-linear editing skills. Familiarity with elements of Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Knowledge of emergent multimedia technologies, web architecture, and new media production.
- Demonstrated aptitude in social media and proactive, strategic communication are essential. Confidence and familiarity working with web technologies, including basic HTML and CMS tools (such as SIDEARM). Advanced and demonstrated knowledge of statistical programs (such as Genius Sports and StatCrew).
- Frequent travel and work on weekends and evenings.
This position, along with all DAPER coaches and staff, is responsible for the integrity of Stanford's intercollegiate athletics program and for the reputation of Stanford University. This position is responsible for insuring that his/her involvement with Athletic Department activities maintains the integrity of the University's reputation and does not negatively impact the relationship between the University and its faculty, staff, students and alumni. Additionally, this position must comply with University policies and procedures, NCAA and PAC-12 rules and regulations.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for you:
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
Location: Athletics, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency