Assistant Director, Foundation Relations
The Assistant Director will primarily support the development activities of University leadership, including the President, Provost and Vice President of Advancement in the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of a select portfolio of high profile foundation partners. S/he will also be responsible for a limited portfolio of existing foundation partners, managing all phases of the development process. Additionally, the Assistant Director will identify new foundation prospects that align with University priorities, work effectively with key internal stakeholders in the development and submission of proposals, and manage all stewardship and reporting efforts in support of foundation partnerships.
Essential to this role will be a strong working knowledge of the foundation landscape within the Indianapolis community, as well as the State of Indiana. Additionally, candidates must have the ability to develop strong working relationships with campus administrators including the President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Academic Deans, and other key University leadership. This position is responsible for contributing to the vision, leadership and accountability for all foundation gifts under Butler University’s Office of Advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Support all relationship management activities of the President, Provost, Vice President of Advancement and other University Leaders with a select group of high profile foundation partners.
* Support University Campaign initiatives through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of local and national foundations.
* Develop written proposals and other appropriate correspondence necessary to document new gifts and commitments from existing and new foundation partners.
* Collaborate with the business office to develop grant budgets that align with proposal narratives.
* Manage calendar of deadlines, submissions, reports, and other relevant communications with all foundation partners.
* Exhibit effective and open communication with the Vice President of University Advancement, colleagues within Advancement, as well as Butler University’s leadership including the President, Provost, Executive Council, and Board of Trustees.
* Perform other related duties as required and deemed appropriate to effectively accomplish responsibilities of position.
* Support for University leadership (President, Provost, VP of Advancement) in all development activities related to the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a select portfolio of high profile foundation partners – 70%
* Identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship for a strategically assigned portfolio of University foundation partners and prospects closely aligned with University campaign initiatives – 30%
* Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree preferred.
* A minimum of five years of professional and progressive experience is required; higher education experience is strongly preferred.
* Familiarity with grant processes, budgets, and typical Central Indiana funders
* Ability to translate information and data into compelling cases for support
* Exceptional writing, editing, and interviewing skills
* Commitment to and track record for superior customer service.
* Demonstrated success working in a team environment.
* Ability to handle multiple deadlines and projects and prioritize accordingly.
* Strong interpersonal and written communications skills with demonstrated attention to detail and ability to relate to individuals at varying levels internally and externally.
* Ability to use discretion in working with confidential and sensitive data.
* Computer software skills, including Microsoft Office, is required, and knowledge of integrated client database systems is preferred.
* Professional in appearance, demeanor, and decision-making.