Chief Human Resources Officer
Provides vision and strategy for human capital development in support of the University’s overall mission, vision, values and strategic plan. This position supports the Executive Leadership Team in developing human capital strategies, decision support, and development of university culture. Provides leadership and is responsible for the administration, planning and management of human resources-related matters campus-wide: strategic plan for human capital, talent acquisition and development, human resources information systems (HRIS), professional and leadership development, legal and regulatory compliance, compensation and performance management, employee engagement and relations, benefits, immigration and other services. Supervises the University’s Equal Opportunity and Title IX Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops Human Resources mission and strategy that supports the University’s strategic plan and operational needs
- Supports the Executive Leadership Team in developing strategic human capital planning and budgeting for the University
- Collaborates with other university leaders in pro-actively developing culture in alignment with the University’s core values and vision statements through innovative engagement initiatives, policies and practice development
- Responsible for developing and reporting human resource metrics and dashboards to assess progress in achieving strategic and tactical goals for the department and overall University strategy
- Responsible for leading the University’s efforts in talent identification, attraction, acquisition, development and retention. For faculty, this involves closely working with and supporting the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs in search support, strategic analysis and compensation benchmarking support
- Works with University leadership to define diversity goals and implements strategies for success
- Ensures campus-wide compliance with applicable laws, regulations, policies and practices and engages in necessary research to appropriately recommend changes to University policies and procedures. Includes supervision of the University’s Equal Opportunity and Title IX Coordinator
- Oversees certain immigration matters; oversees or serves as liaison to the TIEC for J-1 matters
- Oversees employment-related complaints and investigations
- Ensures the Human Resources Office provides efficient, effective and knowledgeable service to all internal and external constituencies
- Manage an effective human resources department, assuring that competent staff is retained, developed and/or hired. Assure that HR organization is staffed with the highest level of competence in the respective functional fields
- Leads the HR office in counseling supervisors and leaders at all levels on employment-related issues
- Effectively leads the performance management, training/development and succession planning programs to aggressively build leadership & management bench strength and ensure organizational effectiveness throughout the University
- Maintain and/or develop and execute a strategy in the compensation/benefits area consistent with the University’s guidelines, which helps to drive individual performance and fosters an environment which ensures the retention of high quality staff, promotes and sustains high morale and a cost-effective approach
- Completes special projects on a wide variety of topics as assigned
- Oversees and monitors the budget for the Human Resources Office
- Cooperates and collaborates with other employees in the spirit of teamwork and collegiality
- Complies with all Trinity University policies and guidelines
- Assures HR compliance and procedure quality control through the development, implementation and maintenance of policies, procedures and other related infrastructure documentation; conducts analysis and recommends improvements and corrective actions to increase efficiency and improve productivity; and ensures compliance with state and federal regulations
- A minimum of 10 years of successful and progressive work experience in Human Resources required.
- Broad knowledge of federal laws and regulations related and applicable to employment, ERISA/benefits, Equal Opportunity and immigration
- Demonstrated cultural competencies
- Higher Education experience
- Experience with IT-enabled HR processes and operations
- HR Certification
Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or other appropriate discipline. Master's degree or higher preferred.
Reports To: Vice President for Finance & Administration
Supervises Human Resources staff. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the University’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
How to apply:
Applicants may submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references. Please upload all enclosures in one single file with your resume.
Phone: (210) 999-7507; Fax: (210) 999-7542
One Trinity Place
San Antonio, Texas 78212
Trinity University is an equal opportunity employer and as such provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement of all employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, military/veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any status protected by Federal, State, or Local Laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer – Disability and Veteran