DEPARTMENT CHAIR AND PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK FACULTY)
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
Anschutz Medical Campus
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Community and Behavioral Health
DEPARTMENT CHAIR AND PROFESSOR (TENURE TRACK FACULTY)
NATURE OF WORK
The Colorado School of Public Health is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Department Chair for the Department of Community and Behavioral Health (CBH). This is a 12-month, tenure-track, full Professor appointment with the primary academic appointment to be held at the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus.
We seek an innovative and collaborative leader with a commitment to faculty development and mentoring. The incumbent should be a visionary in public health who can build upon departmental strengths both to align with and to further define institutional, state, regional, and national priorities. As leader of CBH, this individual will be positioned to forge new opportunities to advance the future direction of CBH expertise and, more broadly, the success of ColoradoSPH faculty, staff, students and programs in the Rocky Mountain region and beyond. Attributes characterizing this individual include: a record of external research funding across multiple sources; a commitment to community engagement in research and public health practice; documented leadership in educational program development; evidence of successful budgetary leadership; and a history of cultivating diversity among faculty, staff, and students. The preferred candidate will enhance the reputation and overall vision of the school and the partner universities.
The Department of Community and Behavioral Health is a national leader in engaging communities in prevention, intervention, and dissemination and implementation research, charting new paths to health. As a tri-campus department, CBH is the largest department of the ColoradoSPH in both faculty numbers and student enrollment. It also offers an array of degree programs, including MPH, DrPH, and certificate programs, that use cutting edge technology and field practice experiences to achieve excellence in public health education and workforce development.
The School of Public Health, celebrating its 10th anniversary, is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Denver (CU Denver), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region's health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus , the location of the ColoradoSPH at the CU Denver campus, is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 21,000 employees, more than 4,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state's children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school.
The Department Chair reports to the Dean of the Colorado School of Public Health.
The Department Chair oversees the department's faculty and staff.
- Provide excellence in leadership to promote the department's expertise
- Administer an academic enterprise at the department level
- Oversee budget administration and develop budgetary and fiscal strategies for supporting departmental and school goals
- Advocate for and promote CBH and departmental accomplishments and initiatives at the institutional level
- Foster and support tri-campus collaborations of CBH
- Secure training and research grant, contract, and endowment funding
- Teach and mentor students at the graduate level
- Conduct research in one or more fields relevant to the Department's mission
- Develop, review, and implement departmental policies
- Represent the department and the ColoradoSPH to constituent communities and local and national organizations
- Promote and support public health practice as scholarly work across multiple levels of the institution
SALARY / BENEFITS:
The salary range for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- PhD, DrPH, or equivalent in public health or related subject
- Leadership and administrative skills in academic and/or organizationally equivalent settings
- Distinguished social science research and scholarship contributing to the improvement of public health; while research area is open, preferences include community engagement approaches; mental health and substance use; mobile and digital health; global health; or dissemination and implementation research
- Experience promoting an environment for diversity and inclusion in recruitment and retention of students, faculty, and staff
- Academic and scholarly accomplishments commensurate with the criteria for appointment at the academic rank of full Professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado School of Public Health.
- At least 5 years of leadership experience in a university or similar setting, including experience in personnel and budgetary management
- Commitment to faculty mentorship, professional development, creative scholarship, and collegiality
- Creative development of educational programs, with experience in implementation and sustainability of programs
- Have breadth and depth of experience in public health practice
- Ability to pursue external funding across diverse sources.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Dr. Jill Norris, Professor and Chair, Department of Epidemiology, Colorado School of Public Health, at [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Applicants must apply online at http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Please do not submit any of your application material via email to the job posting contact. APPLICANTS MUST INCLUDE: 1. A cover letter which addresses the job requirements and outlines relevant qualifications, specifically: a. Statement of leadership and management accomplishments b. Summary of research accomplishments, interests and goals c. Summary of teaching and mentoring experience and accomplishments d. History of research funding 2. A current full curriculum vitae 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three to five professional references in a separate document. We will notify you prior to contacting on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21424 - CSPH-CBH General Ops
Posting Date: Apr 16, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Dr. Jill Norris
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00745181