Assistant Dean of Budget and Finance
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing
Assistant Dean of Budget and Finance
Position #691384 - Requisition 14468
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The College of Nursing has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Assistant Dean of Budget and Finance position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work
This leadership position is responsible for the strategic financial direction and development of the College of Nursing. The Assistant Dean of Budget and Finance acts as the senior advisor to the Dean on all financial matters, and represents the Dean on such matters to the campus and University. The individual in this position serves as the chief finance and budget officer of the College of Nursing. This position is delegated the responsibility and authority to make all decisions necessary to ensure that the budgetary and fiscal operations of the school are conducted in an effective, efficient and responsible manner consistent with the rules and regulations of the University of Colorado. The Assistant Dean is responsible for the effective conduct of the financial and budgetary affairs of the College and effectually plans and allocates financial resources to achieve the education, research and clinical objectives. This position plans, directs and assesses the financial operations of the College including finance and budget, procurement, contract and grant administration, clinical revenues, and more.
This individual also is responsible for policy development, program evaluation on a variety of unique and complex projects and development of short and long-range financial plans and projections for the school. The Assistant Dean must relate well to the diversity of faculty, staff, and students, and to the unique needs of these constituencies and of the College. The Assistant Dean must be committed to shared governance, teamwork, and creative leadership. This position's leadership is characterized by sound judgment, flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness, and excellent communication skills.
Work is performed under the general direction and authority of the Dean of the College of Nursing.
Position provides direct supervision to Budget and Finance Assistant Director and other professional positions as required.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Serve as the fiscal officer of the CU College of Nursing.
- Advise the Dean on all financial matters and as delegated, represent the College on strategic matters related to financial operations.
- Investigate and identify internal and external budgeting and financial information needs; Approve all high-level documents and reports relating to fiscal and budget information for the college.
- Formulate financial plans for the college's various programs and projects. Plans include revenue and expenditure projections, as well as, cash flow requirements.
- Serve as a liaison between the College/Dean and the campus, University and other external constituencies regarding the financial operations of the College.
- Establish the objectives, scope of service and performance benchmarks for the Finance and Budget unit.
- Ensure the college is in compliance with all relevant campus, university and state fiscal policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership and creative approaches to other members of the senior administrative team for the effective utilization of financial resources to accomplish strategic objectives.
- Provide oversight of the processes related to the development and monitoring of College budgets, consistent with organizational mission, goals and applicable policies.
- Develop, recommend, and implement organization policies relevant to financial management.
- Strategically manage and evaluate the College's financial resources, ensuring that funds are stewarded appropriately, allocated and deployed to allow for maximum benefit; with an entrepreneurial focus, develop and explore new and/or unidentified avenues for potential sources of revenue.
- Employ a proactive, future-based approach to financial planning, ensuring the College is strategically positioned to meet opportunities and challenges.
- Participate as a member of the dean's leadership team. Provide advice and counsel to the college's faculty leadership, directors, and assistant/associate deans regarding all financial and administrative matters.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- The ideal candidate for this position will have earned an advanced degree from an accredited college or University in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration or a closely related field.
- Candidates with a bachelor's degree and long-term accounting, budgeting, finance and/or higher education administration experience will also be considered.
- Additionally, the position requires:
- Minimum of five (5) years of complex budget and financial experience in an institution of higher education.
- Prior supervisory experience of professional positions.
- Experience working with clinical revenue streams and systems.
- Experience administering grants and contracts.
- Financial experience within an academic health center.
- Financial experience within the University of Colorado system.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, analyze and implement effective and innovative budget and financial strategies.
- Evidence of being innovative and creative, particularly related to solving complex business and financial problems that lead to cost-savings, revenue generation, or other types of innovation.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other executives and leaders to achieve organizational goals.
- Track record of engaging and contributing to larger organization issues beyond the confines of finance and budget.
- Ability to function independently and at a high level under complex situations.
- Ability to conceptualize complex fiscal problems, and to develop and implement effective action plans.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the issues facing the nursing profession, the education of nurses, nursing workforce projections, and financial pressures on the nursing professions as well as nurse-led clinics.
- Ability to set a tone of leadership that is collaborative and transparent, and which effectively utilizes data-driven decision making.
- Ability to effectively supervise, lead and direct a variety of professional personnel.
- Outstanding communication skills are required. Ability to effectively develop, organize and present written and oral reports to internal and external constituents, including faculty and departmental administrators, staff, affiliates, campus and university administration, and regional and national professional organizations.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, analytical capability and professional judgment are required.
- Ability to manage large amounts of complex data, and to coordinate a variety of information systems.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to Tracy Gray, Director of Human Resources - College of Nursing.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by August 29, 2018. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Aug 15, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Position Number: 00691384