Advanced Practice Provider III/UKHC
The Advanced Practice Provider III/ Critical Care is a member of the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine team and has as his/her primary responsibility collaboration with the attending physician in patient and service management. The APP III is a PRINCIPAL INTENSIVE CARE PROVIDER (staff resident-independent intensive care service of patients) and may also manage a caseload of critically-ill, complex patients. The APP III is under the direct supervision of the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine APP supervisor and Pediatric Critical Care Medicine division chief, and functions in collaboration with the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Division Attending physicians. The APP III has specialized skill and knowledge related to the unique care of acutely and critically ill pediatric patients within the PICU as well as any other location in which the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine team is providing care for these patients. The APP III contributes to excellence in patient care, research, teaching, consulting, and provides leadership to the organization. The Pediatric Critical Care Medicine APP III functions in collaboration with the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine attending physician to coordinate care of all Pediatric Critical Care Medicine patients, as well as to meet individual patient care needs as determined in collaboration with the attending physician. Obtain patient health histories, request outside records and perform complete physical examinations. Document findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings. Document in medical records and appropriate narrative summaries. Order and interpret appropriate diagnostic and laboratory tests. Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient's clinical status. Document patient preparation and response to procedure(s). Request professional consultation and be available to consulting service. Formulate and implement treatment plan for acute illness management in collaboration with the designated primary supervising physician and/or attending back-up physician(s). Utilize current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice. Utilize prescriptive privileges as allowed by the Kentucky Boards of Medical Examiners and Nursing. Documents all prescriptions in patient's medical record. Assess patient for change in status and institute appropriate interventions. Initiate necessary emergency interventions to stabilize patient.
Advanced Practice Provider III/UKHC
7H654:PEDIATRICS - WERNER CRITICAL CARE
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Click here for more information about equivalencies:
Required Related Experience
Required License/ Registration/Certification
APRN or PA-C with appropriate certification
On feet for extended periods of time. Requires heavy lifting, pushing or pulling of objects > 50 lb.
Technical and professional knowledge applicable to the care of the critically ill child; dependability, time management, and effective communication skills.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
APRN: Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner with national certification is required by start date. Previous PICU or Pediatric cardiac ICU experience preferred. New graduate Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner considered; previous PICU, emergency department staff nurse experience preferred; but will consider other pediatric acute care nursing experience for a new graduate.
PA-C: 1 year of paid experience working in PICU or completion of a 1 year pediatric critical care residency program is preferred; but will consider pediatric inpatient or SPECIFIC pediatric ED (not pediatric patients in a general ED) experience.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * University of Kentucky HealthCare recognizes a set of values that guide us in our daily interactions. By applying for a position within UK Healthcare, you are indicating your commitment and expressing your agreement to our five values. These values are diversity, innovation, respect, compassion, and teamwork. Please choose one of the UK Healthcare values and give a specific example when you exhibited this quality in your professional experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you currently licensed by the state of Kentucky as a Nurse Practitioner or eligible to obtain license within the next nine months, or are you currently certified as a Physician Assistant by the (NCCPA) National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants or eligible to obtain certification within the next nine months? (In order to be eligible, applicant must have graduated from an accredited program or be scheduled to graduate within six months of the application.)
- * For Nurse Practitioner applicants, do you have a current certification in Pediatric Acute Care, or are eligible to obtain this by date of hire?
- I am a Physician Assistant
- * For Physician Assistant Applicants, do you have at least 1 year of paid experience working in a pediatric critical care unit or will you complete 1 year of a PICU Physician Assistant Residency Program by date of hire?
- I am a Nurse Practitioner
- * Do you have paid employment experience working in Pediatrics in an acute care setting?
- * Describe your pediatric work experience as it relates to the major job responsibilities in the job summary for this position. Focus on pediatric experience in the critical or acute care setting.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's online employment system?
- Diverseeducation.com (Diverse Issues in Higher Education)
- HERCjobs.org (Higher Education Recruitment Consortium)
- Institute for Diversity in Health Management
- A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
- None of the Above
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vita