Library Technology Specialist
Requisition Number STA - 201000000689
Job Title Library Technology Specialist
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Library Technology Specialist.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
The Library Technology Specialist is responsible for managing bibliographic records in the integrated library system (ILS), and coordinating functions related to the ILS between the UNT Dallas Main Library and the UNT Dallas College of Law Library. This position requires face-to-face and online reference duties with a patron service perspective, some evening and weekend hours, and participation in library teams and campus committees as assigned. The Library Technology Specialist's primary responsibilities will include maintaining a working relationship with information vendors, insuring access to electronic resources, and responding to technology issues. Instruction responsibilities include participation in student-centered, outcome-based information literacy instruction on an as needed basis.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Identifies, locates, retrieves and delivers electronic and physical resources to customers using interlibrary loan software.
- Provides extensive written (e-mail), telephone, and in-person customer service; processes invoices in a timely manner in local ILS.
- Proactively monitors access to electronic resources and troubleshoots access issues; collaborates with the other Library staff to support acquisitions and vendor matters, circulation-related functions in ILS, catalog content, and digital repository metadata.
- Maintains accurate records of purchase orders and resource activation, cancellation, cost, usage and licensing data.
- Collates and analyzes usage data; creates cost-per-use reports for return on investment evaluation of electronic resources.
- Generates invoices for fee-based interlibrary loan services; maintains current awareness of developments in interlibrary loan systems and procedures.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess the following required qualifications:
Bachelor's degree or three (3) years of experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
- Recent experience cataloging a variety of bibliographic and physical formats in an integrated library system.
- Knowledge of electronic databases and an integrated library system.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Experience working with Library automation systems, Library of Congress Classification systems, RDA standards, MARC format, and standard cataloging practices.
- Experience with OCLC bibliographic record utility.
- M.L.S. / M.L.I.S. from an ALA accredited institution.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
40 HRS/WK INCLUDING WEEKENDS & EVENINGS.
Substitution of Experience/Education Yes
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Ph D
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)