Senior DevOps Engineer
Senior DevOps Engineer
Job Number: 81461
JCC: 4823Grade: L
About The Job
Work with a spirited and experienced team of DevOps Engineers to build the next generation of infrastructure and applications for Stanford Medicine in the Cloud or on-premise. As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you will be a major part of our efforts in the ongoing design, implementation, and support of our local and cloud infrastructure platforms. The systems and tools you create will enable the scalability and security of Stanford Medicine's local and cloud infrastructure, enabling Stanford Medicine to continue advancing human health through cutting-edge research. Advance your career by taking on high-impact projects with the latest cloud and DevOps technologies.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer at Stanford Medicine, you will:
- Lead projects and efforts to develop and maintain local and cloud infrastructure and applications, using code whenever you can!
- Lead efforts to further automate cloud and local infrastructure operations with tools like Ansible, Puppet or customized programs/scripts.
- Help build and integrate security as part of the infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the team and customers to develop/migrate and maintain important Stanford Medicine web applications on Google Cloud Platform and local infrastructure.
- Architect and maintain Stanford Medicine's codified next-generation cloud infrastructure, working with technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform and Vault
- Lead on other important infrastructure projects, with the support and collaboration of the team.
- Lead efforts in implementing new technologies and best practices etc.
- Lead and mentor other members of the team on defining and adopting new or improving existing processes and procedures.
This position offers all the excellent benefits of working at Stanford University, along with the personal satisfaction of knowing you are working to enable the extraordinary research at Stanford Medicine and advance human health.
- You are curious in all areas of a constantly improving and evolving cloud and on-premise infrastructure, have a passion for infrastructure codification and application automation, and have the necessary skills to implement them and oversee them into fruition and adoption.
- You have the soft skills to work directly with business owners and end users, and are able to understand and think deeply about the ongoing business needs, and help translate them into reliable and efficient architecture and actual implementation.
- You are interested in building security into and as an integral part of the infrastructure instead of as an outside consideration.
- You are passionate about programming and solving real business problems with code. As soon as a task becomes a routine, you are looking for a way to automate it.
- You are constantly learning and practicing new ideas and tools in programming and web technology and are eager to put what you learn into practice at work.
- You care about things being done the “right way”. You read up online and collaborate with co-workers to decide on and implement best practices and conventions. You're willing to go the extra mile to refactor your code to make it more logical.
- You are a self-starter and work both in a team setting and independently, and constantly looking for opportunities to improve code and infrastructure.
- You have an open mind, work well in a team setting and understand that even for geniuses, their ideas and practices can be improved through collaboration and constructive debates.
- Interest and past experience in IT security strongly desired
- Past DevOps experience is strongly desired.
- Past experiences in infrastructure tool development and maintenance is very helpful.
- Past experiences in cloud technology such as GCP, AWS or Azure strongly desired.
Platform Services is part of the Information Resources & Technology (IRT) group at the School of Medicine. Our team is responsible for the security and constant upkeep of IRT's computing and web infrastructure, both in the cloud and on-premise. We work closely with other teams in IRT and across Stanford Medicine to enable the daily operations of Stanford School of Medicine. We also work closely with researchers at the school to provide scalable and stable infrastructure to enable their cutting-edge research. As a group, we:
- Value competence and quality of work
- Expect individuals to take ownership and responsibility, without ego
- Work efficiently and independently with minimal bureaucracy
- Maintain collegial working style
This position currently works in our Porter Drive office. We anticipate that this position will move to the new Stanford Redwood City campus in late May to late June 2019.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Demonstrated understanding of business needs and overall infrastructure design and develop tools to enable and automate the infrastructure.
- Experience working with both business owners and end users.
- Familiarity and mastery of a high level scripting language such as Python (preferred), or Go.
- The drive and self-motivation to understand the intricate details of a complex infrastructure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical project stakeholders.
- Ability to architect, maintain, and code next-generation cloud infrastructure, working with technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, and Hashicorp Terraform and Vault.
- Ability to lead team efforts to implement new technologies and best practices.
- Experience collaborating with team members and customers to develop/migrate and maintain Stanford Medicine web applications on Google Cloud Platform and local infrastructure.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and eight years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies and programming tools.
- Demonstrated experience in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications.
- Strong understanding of data design, architecture, relational databases, and data modeling.
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of software development life cycle and quality control practices.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for highly technical applications.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients.
- Demonstrated experience leading activities on structured team development projects.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Location: School of Medicine, California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency