Learning Disability Specialist
Learning Disability Specialist
11 MONTH, TENURE TRACK, CATEGORICALLY FUNDED-POSITION
Under the direction and leadership of the Dean of Counseling and Student Support Programs, the Disability Support Services (DSS) Learning Disability Specialist provides assessment for learning disabilities and disability management support for students with learning disabilities.
1. Provide assessment for learning disabilities using the California Community College Chancellor's Office Learning Disability Eligibility and Services Model (LDESM) and/or evaluate verification of a learning disability from an outside source.
2. Provide disability management counseling to students with learning disabilities. These services include, but are not limited to:
• Collect and analyze verification documentation and authorize academic accommodations, services, and learning strategies;
• Maintain Confidential Files
• Write Diagnostic Assessment Reports as needed for accommodation documentation for high stakes exams/tests.
3. Collaborate with college instructors, counselors, administrators, college staff, and Disability Support Services personnel to assist students in pursuit of their educational goals.
4. Provide consultation and support to campus faculty and staff regarding student accommodations and DSS programs and services as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act Amended (ADAA) and Section 504 and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
5. Maintain liaison with educational and community-based organizations for ongoing referral outreach and recruitment.
6. Participate in professional activities, curriculum development, and campus committees.
7. May serve as instructor for Educational Assistance (Personal Development and noncredit) courses relating to disabilities.
Master's Degree in the category of disability, Special Education, Education, Psychology, Educational Psychology, or Rehabilitation Counseling AND fifteen (15) semester units of upper division or graduate study in the area of Learning Disabilities OR Valid California Community College Credential as a Learning Disabilities Specialist OR the equivalent.
Candidates must exhibit an appreciation of, a sensitivity to, and respect for a rich and diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological and ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities. Experience working in a community with a similar diversity pattern as is found in the service area for Southwestern College is preferable.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
Upon initial employment, full-time faculty members are placed on the salary schedule based upon years of experience and education. The maximum initial placement for experience is Step 6. Faculty members are encouraged to continue their professional development through additional study qualifying them for advancement on the salary schedule. For current salary schedules and information on salary placement visit our website at www.swccd.edu. Comprehensive fringe benefits are provided.
STARTING DATE: As soon as the successful candidate is identified and following the subsequent governing board approval.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All application materials must be received online by 11:59 p.m., Friday, February 8, 2019. Screening of applications will begin shortly thereafter. Any application received after the deadline is not guaranteed a review. Position is open until filled.
FAXED AND E-MAILED MATERIAL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, HOWEVER, APPLICATION MATERIALS ARE AVAILABLE ON-LINE AT OUR COLLEGE WEBSITE, https://jobs.swccd.edu/postings/2622.
Submit the following application materials on-line at https://jobs.swccd.edu/postings/2622:
(1) Letter of Application (cover letter)
(2) Online Application
(4) Unofficial copies of college transcripts with date degree conferred
Applicants who do not possess appropriate degree or credential must request, complete and submit a Supplemental Equivalency Application.
Foreign degrees require an evaluation for United States equivalency from an agency having membership with the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services, Inc. Upon offer of employment, the successful applicant must be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all application materials are received by the deadline date.
All materials included in your application packet become District property,
will not be returned, will not be copied, and will be considered for this opening only.
INTERVIEW TRAVEL COSTS MUST BE BORNE BY THE APPLICANT.
If additional positions become available in this classification, applications received in response to this posting may be considered for those additional positions for up to 90 days after final board approval.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer and in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act,
Southwestern Community College District will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency