The art director serves as primary graphic designer for Alma College and is responsible for the overall visual identity of the college. They will serve as resident expert on college marks and brand standards, collaborate with the marketing team to generate creative concepts and ideas to help meet strategic objectives, help coordinate the work of freelance and student designers, and oversee the licensing program. The art director is a critical member of an integrated marketing team that collaborates on multimedia campaigns which support the work of admissions, advancement and athletics, as well as overall brand promotion.
Receives supervision from the associate vice president for marketing. Supervises student staff and provides creative oversight to freelance graphic designers.
• Provide lead design services for admissions, advancement, athletics, President’s office, student life and academic areas
• Design viewbooks, magazines, brochures, programs, posters, flyers, pamphlets, advertisements, invitations and other printed materials that promote the college to specific audiences
• Design digital resources including web graphics, banners, buttons and ads
• Obtain print bids, develop and maintain relationships with print vendors, oversee the printing process for college publications, and ensure printing quality meets college standards
• Understand and adhere to postal regulations and best practice regarding mail piece design
• Uphold the integrity of college style guide and graphic standards and maintain a consistent design that fits the overall Alma College look and feel
• Provide feedback or approval for all submissions to the college’s licensing program
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or related field
• Minimum five years professional graphic design experience
• Proficiency in Macintosh operating system and Adobe software, including InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator
• Proven, strong graphic design skills, and ability to edit and design with exceptional accuracy and professional quality
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and meet deadlines is essential
• Excellent organizational skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Knowledge of general office procedures
• Multimedia design skills such as web design, PowerPoint, motion graphics, or design for video applications
• Professional experience in a higher education setting is a plus
• Lifting up to 20 pounds
• Sitting at a desk approximately eight hours a day
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to Melinda Booth, Associate Vice President for Marketing at [email protected]
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; priority will be given to applicants who apply by January 7, 2019.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. For more information about the College and available positions, visit www.alma.edu/jobs.