Digital Content Strategist
The digital content strategist serves as one of the college's primary storytellers and brand champions. Responsibilities are divided between writing creative, compelling copy for web and print media, and monitoring, responding and creating content for the college’s social media accounts (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) as an institutional voice of Alma College. The successful candidate must be willing to monitor social media networks during regular business and non-business hours. The digital content strategist is a critical member of an integrated marketing team that collaborates on multimedia campaigns which support the work of admissions, advancement and athletics, as well as overall brand promotion.
This position reports to the Associate Vice President for Marketing and may supervise student staff.
Writing for Web and Print
• Consistent with the brand platform, craft compelling audience-specific copy for print and web-based communication pieces, including advancement and admissions marketing materials and other assigned projects.
• Write brief, engaging articles on Alma College faculty, students, staff members, alumni, donors and programs. Identify story topics and sources, gathering facts and information, interviewing sources, and fact checking for 100 percent accuracy.
• Assist with a variety of department duties including updating websites, calendars and communication platforms.
• Assist with the writing and coordination of social media ads and other types of online advertising.
Social Media Coordination
• Work with the Associate Vice President for Marketing to develop and implement a comprehensive social media strategy, connecting our various audiences and communicating key messages in support of the college’s strategic marketing efforts.
• Continuously monitor the college-related conversations in social media, notifying supervisors of positive or negative feedback and trends. Assist with crisis communication when assigned.
• Serve as the institutional voice of Alma College’s official social media channels, especially Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, focusing on meaningful engagement of current and prospective students, alumni, community members, faculty, staff and other key constituents.
• Participate as assigned in major college events, seeking opportunities for meaningful real-time posts that create a sense of engagement for those who are unable to attend.
• Serve as a social media consultant on best practices to campus constituents who are seeking to develop a social media presence. Oversee authorized student-generated content.
• Baccalaureate degree in new media studies, communications, journalism, or a related liberal arts field.
• At least one year of related experience in public or media relations, journalism, or social media communication.
• Experience in interviewing, writing, researching and editing to produce content for a variety of formats, such as web pages, news releases or articles.
• Comprehensive understanding of and experience with social media, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other popular platforms.
• Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines.
• Able to work collaboratively with office colleagues, faculty, students and staff across all disciplines.
• Ability to attend and cover events and activities outside of regular business hours.
• Experience in writing for the web and/or news publications.
• Experience working within a web content management system.
• Experience promoting special events.
• Demonstration of strong news judgment.
• Lifting up to 20 pounds
• Sitting at a desk approximately eight hours a day
Interested candidates must submit an Alma College application, a letter of interest, a current resume, and the names, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references to Melinda Booth, Associate Vice President for Marketing at [email protected].
For an Alma College application, please go to: https://www.alma.edu/live/files/897-employment-application.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; priority will be given to applicants who apply by January 7, 2019.
Alma College is a selective, baccalaureate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence and development of responsible leaders. Alma’s undergraduates thrive on challenging academic programs in a supportive, small-college environment emphasizing active, collaborative learning and close student-faculty interaction. Alma is a private Phi Beta Kappa institution located in the center of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
Alma College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. For more information about the College and available positions, visit www.alma.edu/jobs.