Associate Registrar - Rio Grande College
Required: Bachelor’s degree. Three years of experience in an office environment requiring record keeping and privacy of information. Established minimal data entry and/or typing skills. Ability to communicate in a professional manner with a variety of internal and external groups, orally and in writing. Organize and perform tasks in an orderly and accurate manner according to established policies and procedures. Ability to use basic stress and conflict management skills.
Preferred: Master’s degree; Minimum of three years of experience working in recruiting, admissions, or student records at the post-secondary level. : Experience with an ERP (Ellucian Banner).
1. Provide adequate communication and client services to individuals seeking assistance.
2. Assist with special events (after normal business hours) related to the registration and orientation of students and commencement exercises.
3. Provide support in the preparation of correspondence, timely filing of student records, and the research of former student records.
4. Assist in all activities associated with the registration of undergraduate and graduate students.
5. Assist with the processing of final grades, posting and updating of grade information to transcripts, and determination of satisfactory academic progress of undergraduate and graduate students.
6. Display a clear understanding of the requirements of the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, regarding the privacy of student records and general information. Maintain the confidentiality of all conversations, incidents, and information processed and maintained by the University. Be capable of explaining the basic elements of FERPA to the public, students, faculty, and staff.
7. Ensure the security of student records by safeguarding access to the student information system and all student files, both electronic and hard copy.
1. Assist the University Registrar in the preparation of ad hoc and standing reports to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB); ensure the integrity of data for said reports.
2. Assist the University Registrar in determining graduation eligibility and the preparation of the official graduation list (Alpine campus only).
3. Interpret and provide individual faculty and students with information on policies and procedures established by the University, Board of Regents, or state and federal agencies.
4. Update course and curriculum information in the student information system as necessary to reflect changes approved by the University, Board of Regents, and the THECB. Ensure that course information stored in the student information system is in agreement with the published University catalog.
5. Prepare and maintain the class schedule for each semester; review proposed course offerings to ensure approval by the THECB; coordinate with the Campus Activities office to maintain a calendar of events scheduled in academic spaces (Alpine campus only).
6. Process approved exceptions to degree requirements in the degree audit system; ensure appropriate coding of courses.
7. Assist with the maintenance of the student information system; test new patches and upgrades as directed by the University Registrar.
8. Prepare and maintain student educational records as required by the records retention schedule.
9. Coordinate all activities associated with the registration of dual credit students (Alpine campus only).
10. Serve as the coordinator of veterans’ educational benefits (Alpine campus only).
11. Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others; must exercise due caution and practice safe work habits at all times.
12. Other duties as assigned by the University Registrar.
Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others; must exercise due caution and practice safe work habits at all times. Position is Security Sensitive.