Dean, Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) seeks an experienced and innovative leader to serve as the dean of business.
The dean of business is the chief academic and administrative leader of the Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship. This person reports directly to the executive vice president for academic affairs and works closely with deans, chairs, faculty and staff from across the university. UTRGV invites candidates with comprehensive academic administrative experience who demonstrate a record of accomplishment in research, as well as success leading efforts devoted to undergraduate retention and completion, developing faculty for teaching, developing undergraduate and graduate programs and ensuring student success.
The chief purpose of this position will be to provide innovative leadership for the Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship (VCoBE) and to ensure its continued development, operation, expansion and enhancement. The dean:
- Serves as the chief academic and administrative leader for the VCoBE.
- Collaborates with university leaders, faculty and staff to develop shared vision as stated in the UTRGV strategic plan.
- Facilitates efforts to implement the VCoBE strategic plan along with the university’s shared vision.
- Continues to advance the college according to its mission to be the agent of innovation, knowledge discovery and economic development in the Valley and beyond.
- Oversees the college’s academic and scholarly activities, works with faculty to articulate a shared vision of excellence and focuses on developing, expanding and strengthening excellent undergraduate and graduate academic programs in the college.
- Secures and promotes collaborations with greater Rio Grande Valley area business and industry to support research, spur economic growth, engage the community, inform curriculum and sustain student success.
- Builds an organizational culture of collegial teamwork and cultivates faculty development.
- Fosters an organizational and educational climate that promotes and celebrates diversity.
- Prepares and manages annual budgets for the effective and efficient allocation within the college.
- Establishes academic or co-curricular programs that will meet student career needs.
- Pursues revenue growth through development, grants and contracts, and professional development programs for the advancement of college resources.
- Provides leadership in program assessment, external program review and professional accreditation, such as the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business Accreditation (AACSB).
- Oversees the college faculty in the development of policies governing its academic programs.
- Expands and strengthens liaisons with domestic and international educational institutions to assess, develop and manage innovative academic programs and curriculum development.
- Terminal degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of administrative experience at the chair level or above with responsibility for budgets, personnel decisions, performance reviews and decisions for promotion and tenure
- Established record of scholarship, teaching and service that qualifies the candidate for a senior faculty appointment in one of the college's disciplines
- Full-time teaching experience at the university level
- Administrative experience with AACSB standards and accreditation processes
- Evidence of past effectiveness in responding to the educational needs of an urban, multicultural population
- Documented record of securing external funding
- Demonstrated commitment to the university's core values of integrating scholarly research, teaching and service to develop students' talents and prepare them for success in a dynamic global society
About the Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship
The mission of UTRGV’s Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship is to be the agent of innovation, knowledge discovery and economic development in South Texas, Northern Mexico and beyond by offering a rigorous curriculum informed by experiential learning, high quality research and community partnerships.
The college offers bachelor’s degrees in the following disciplines: Accountancy (BBA), Economics (BA & BBA), Entrepreneurship and Innovation (BBA), Finance (BBA), Hospitality and Tourism Management (BS), Information Systems (BBA), International Business (BBA), Management (BBA), Marketing (BBA) and Materials Management and Logistics (BS). It offers master’s degrees in Business Administration (MBA) and Accountancy (MAcc). It also offers a Ph.D. in Business Administration with concentrations in Finance, Information Systems, Management, and Marketing. In addition, the College of Business & Entrepreneurship houses three centers: The Business and Tourism Research Center, The Center for Border Economic Studies (CBEST) and The Center for Innovation and Commercialization.
The college is an accredited member of AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. AACSB’s mission is to foster engagement, accelerate innovation and amplify impact in business education. For more information, visit www.aacsb.edu.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided by January 21, 2018.
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley in this confidential search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume and five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Rick Kemp, Senior Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Apply for Dean, Robert C. Vackar College of Business & Entrepreneurship
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly