Pre-Health Professions Advisor, Center for Advisement
Pre-Health Professions Advisor, Center for Advisement – Requisition # 18000001V6
This academic advisor will be responsible for developing and coordinating a comprehensive pre-health advising program and providing academic advising for students interested in pursuing a pre-health professions career (i.e. pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-pharmacy, etc.). Occasional evening and weekend hours may be required. Responsibilities include the following:
- Meeting one-on-one with current students, prospective students, and alumni interested in applying to healthcare programs
- Designing and delivering group advising sessions targeted at pre-health students at various stages of the pre-health exploration and application process
- Providing information and support to students regarding healthcare careers and program admission requirements, standardized test preparation, admission essays, reviewing and selecting programs, etc.
- Advising new students during freshmen and transfer orientation sessions, assisting with new student course preregistration, and presenting a session to freshmen interested in healthcare careers
- Collaborating with academic departments, faculty pre-health advisors, and health practitioners within the community to coordinate campus-wide efforts to share pre-health information with students
- Serving as the point-of-contact for individuals at regional/national health professions programs
- Tracking and reporting professional school application/acceptance information on pre-health students
- Creating and coordinating healthcare-related campus/community advisory committees; collaborate with faculty in academic departments and build/maintain relationships with regional healthcare programs
- Creating and maintaining healthcare advising website, print resources for students and advisors, internship/shadowing/clinical opportunities for students
- Tracking pre-health students’ progression while enrolled at UTC as well as application/matriculation data for applicants who apply to pre-health programs
- Additional duties include covering general walk-in hours, etc.
Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree preferred. Must have a work background in higher education setting working with students’ academic needs, providing advising services, and coordinating support services. Preference given to academic advising in higher education as their primary job responsibility for a minimum of three years. Experience advising for professional healthcare programs preferred. Demonstrated responsibility for advising programs (such as organizing student programs, planning advising-related events, preparing materials for students) preferred. Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills; self-motivated and able to work independently; ability to work effectively with students, parents, faculty, staff, and community members of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels; attentiveness to detail, strong organization skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner; flexibility and willingness to adapt to the needs of the position/office as they arise; ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements; proficient use of computers. Prefer experience with relevant higher education software programs and pre-health portals including Banner, Degree Works, EAB Student Success Collaborative, and Professional Application Portals (AMCAS, AADSAS, PharmCAS, etc.)
Applications must be submitted electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001V6
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.