Academic Advisor, Center for Advisement
Academic Advisor, Center for Advisement – Requisition # 18000001V8
This position provides academic advising for undergraduate students in these categories: new freshmen, new undeclared transfers, continuing undeclared students, and students in academic difficulty. When needed, this position will guide the students to various campus resources that provide academic and/or psychological counseling. Manage advising caseload through accurate record-keeping. Maintain relationships with assigned academic departments. Conduct seminars to students on probation or in academic difficulty. Assist with New Student Orientation. Other duties as assigned. Responsibilities include:
- Providing academic advisement to assigned caseload; counseling students on academic issues and program progress, and assisting students in identifying and overcoming academic difficulties through thoughtful educational planning.
- Assessing individual student needs, making appropriate referrals to other campus services and resources, as needed, and aiding students in establishing realistic and attainable academic goals.
- Conduct seminars to students on probation or in academic difficulty.
- Pre-registering incoming first-year students, presenting information sessions, and assisting students with registering during New Student Orientation.
- Developing and maintaining a strong communication line with academic departments and various student support divisions.
- Covering office advising walk-in hours.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Requires a work background in a higher education setting working with students’ academic needs, providing advising services, and coordinating support services. Experience in higher education setting working with students by providing advising services and coordinating support services preferred.
Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem solving skills; ability to work effectively with students and faculty of all cultural backgrounds and experience levels; attentiveness to detail; strong organization skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple requests and handle them in an efficient and timely manner; ability to thoroughly understand and abide by federal and university guidelines regarding student confidentiality requirements; proficient use of computers and knowledge of various software programs. Experience with Banner and Student Success Collaborative platform is preferred.
Applications must be sent electronically to: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/ut_chattanooga/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000001V8
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.