Vice President for Administrative Services/Chief Operating Officer
SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Vice President for Administrative Services/Chief Operating Officer. The incumbent is responsible for: (1) oversight of administration and operations in the administrative services functions of the college; (2) serving as the chief administrative officer in the president’s absence, as designated.
The Vice President for Administrative Services/Chief Operating Officer provides direct supervision to: Administrative Assistant to the Associate Vice President, Controller, Bursar, Assistant Director of Human Resources, Director of Information Technology, Director of Buildings and Grounds, and the Technical Assistant - Purchasing. This position reports to the President and participates in the President’s Executive Council. It is classified Management Confidential.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or related field with 10 years of progressively complex experience in government, business, industry, and/or education.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in a supervisory or managerial capacity in one or more of the administrative units reporting to the position -- business/financial administration, human resources, facilities, information technology -- preferably in a college or university.
- Experience in collective bargaining.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable federal and state regulations, policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of current changes and/or developments in applicable federal and state regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a management team.
- Ability to supervise staff, and to manage activities and projects.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Planning and Assessment
- Consults with the President and other staff members concerning the short and long-range goals of the College.
- Assists supervisors in the development of unit plans that combined into the administrative services plans, drive decision making in the units.
- In consultation with administrative services personnel, develops, reviews and approves policies and procedures for the day-to-day operation of the administrative services activities.
- Establishes a mechanism for regular and on-going evaluation/program review and audit of administrative services. Recommends improvements based on review findings.
- May chair the Strategic Planning/Institutional Assessment Committee of the Faculty Council.
Administration and Operations
- Assists with the development and management of the College's annual budgets for and Provides assistance to the College's divisions, departments and component units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures.
- Provides costing data for revenue generating programs to assist divisions and departments in the development of new programs and the reporting for the outcomes of existing programs.
- Performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Develops the budget for the administrative services units and reviews and approves budget requests that provide for the attainment of goals in accordance with approved plans.
- Oversees the overall operations of unit(s) reporting to this position.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates the Director of Buildings and Grounds in relation to the management and direction of all activities related to the planning, design, construction, renovation, maintenance and/or repair of the College’s physical plant facilities and grounds.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates the Director of Institutional Computing in relation to the management and direction of all activities related to the planning, installation, maintenance and/or repair of the College’s information technology equipment, software and services.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates the Assistant Director of Human Resources in relation to the management and direction of all activities related to the HR function.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates the Controller, Bursar, and Coordinator of Purchasing.
- Participates in campus master facilities planning.
- Participates in the collective bargaining process as a member of the College’s negotiating team by assisting in the preparation of negotiation proposals, providing information and support to the chief labor negotiator and representing the College, as required, at labor management meetings.
- Maintains indirect oversight of the Follet Bookstore and Chartwell Food Service.
- Disseminates to the college community and maintains compliance with SUNY System policy and procedure, including submission of required reports.
- Provides direction to and assists in the planning for and writing of grants directly related to the administrative services elements of the college.
- Maintains liaison with community groups and others important to but outside of the College, and handles sometimes difficult and/or sensitive matters.
- At the direction of the president and when appropriate, In consult with the College’s attorneys and other resource people and assist in drafting documents of a legal nature such as contracts.
- When designated, acts as chief administrative officer and assists the President by:
- Directing and coordinating the on-going administration of the college’s master facilities plan.
- Assuming responsibility for designated phases of the day-to-day operations of the college.
- Completing or overseeing completion of various special assignments when appropriate.
- Represents the President at meetings, conferences and other events as designated.
- Performs other reasonable duties as assigned by the President.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials prior to the review start date of January 7, 2019. The hiring range for this position is $96,000 to $104,500. Please E-mail your cover letter, resume and the name, address and telephone number of (3) professional references to the Office of Human Resources. Please indicate in your cover letter where you learned of this employment opportunity.
For more detailed information regarding this position, please visit our website at:
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College
Apply for Vice President for Administrative Services/Chief Operating Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly