SUMMARY OF POSITION ROLE/RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Mathematics Department at Florida Polytechnic University invites applications for two full-time Teaching Instructor positions beginning fall 2019. The search committee will be looking within the applications for specific evidence of outstanding teaching credentials and experience with educational technology. Duties will include teaching up to 12 credits per semester of primarily, but not limited to, first and second year Calculus courses, Differential Equations, Discrete Mathematics, and other courses in the mathematics for Sciences and Engineering programs. Candidates will be responsible for updating curriculum, textbook, equipment selection, and instructional materials; maintain familiarity with and adhere to University policies and procedures; and provide instruction and an effective learning environment to facilitate student acquisition of the specific learning outcomes identified in the syllabi of the assigned courses.
• Candidates must have earned a Ph.D. in Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, or closely related fields, a strong background in teaching Mathematics and Statistics, by August 2019. Candidates must also have the ability to teach all advanced level and lower division classes in mathematics at the undergraduate level.
- Experience teaching mathematics at the university level;
- Demonstrated ability to use a variety of teaching and assessment strategies to promote and evaluate student learning;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
ABOUT FLORIDA POLY:
Florida Polytechnic University is a new state University that opened for classes in 2014-15, and strives to have a major higher education presence within Florida and beyond. The University was created by the Florida Legislature as a STEM-focused four-year public university, with a range of innovative undergraduate and graduate programs. Dedicated to preparing students for the competitive high-tech workforce, Florida Polytechnic University takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to academics and partners with industry leaders to provide relevant learning opportunities. With an innovative approach to higher education, the University emphasizes core subjects in small class sizes, while giving students opportunities for hands-on education through research and projects in emerging high-tech concentrations.
Lakeland, home to Florida Polytechnic University’s ultra-modern campus, is located along the I-4 High Tech Corridor halfway between Tampa and Orlando. Our central Florida community combines small town comfort with big-city culture. Florida’s High Tech Corridor is home to 11,000 high-tech businesses, and Polk County alone has more than 600,000 residents, four universities and one state college. Lakeland is just a 45-minute drive from Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, professional sports teams, and thriving performing art centers. With no income tax in Florida, and home values increasing 14.3% on average over the past year, Lakeland and central Florida continue to rise among the best places to live and work.
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE:
• Positions are open until filled (or recruitment cancelled). Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the positions are filled.
• Employment is contingent upon proof of the legal right to work in the United States. This proof must be provided prior to employment at the University. An appointment is not final until proof is provided.
APPLICATION PROCESS: All Applicants are required to submit the following in PDF format:
• Letter of Application
• Cover letter and Curriculum Vitae
• Statement of Teaching Philosophy
• List of at least 3 professional references (names and contact information)
• Unofficial copy of the Ph.D./M.Sc. transcript