Substance Treatment Counselor
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine/Dept of Psychiatry/ARTS
Substance Treatment Counselor
Position #670999 Posting #14950
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a full-time, University Staff (non-classified) Substance Treatment Counselor within the Addiction Research and Treatment Services (ARTS) Adult Outpatient Program, with clinic locations in Denver, Aurora and Arvada. The ARTS Adult Outpatient Program is within the School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry. ARTS Adult Outpatient clinics provide drug and alcohol assessment, psychosocial and pharmacological treatment for adults. Programs in various clinic locations include traditional outpatient, intensive outpatient and may contain specialty services for clients referred by the criminal justice system, county departments of human services, and services for pregnant women, individuals who are HIV positive and gender responsive services.
This position provides drug and alcohol assessment, psychosocial, and pharmacological treatment to adult substance abuse clients. The Adult Outpatient Program is a part of the Addiction Research and Treatment Services (ARTS) within the School of Medicine, Department of Psychiatry.
This clinical position is responsible for performing counseling duties and will be supervised by a senior counselor and/or the Clinic Coordinator. Duties include: providing assessments of clients for admission to treatment; performing substance abuse evaluations; completing intakes; performing group, individual and family counseling using evidence based practices for offender population; maintaining documentation in patient charts; developing and carrying out individualized treatment plans and case management duties as needed to meet the needs of external sources as well as linking client's treatment progress to referral sources; completing monthly billing report and statistics; assessing and collecting fees from client; and performing related work as assigned or required. This position will primarily work with patients who are referred from probation departments and with opioid dependent patients and/or other referral sources (i.e. department of social services).
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary range for this position is $40,152 - $49,446 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Diversity and Equity
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Office of Equity by email at [email protected] or by phone at (303) 315-2567.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. To ensure ARTS program integrity, prospective employees may be required to submit to pre-employment urine testing.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an associate's degree in psychology, social work, counseling, human services, or closely-related field
- Minimum of two years of experience providing mental health, behavioral health, and/or substance abuse treatment to clients
- Professional work experience that provided the same kind and level of knowledge acquired in the required education may substitute for the associate's degree on a year-for-year equivalent basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess a valid registration in good standing with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA)
- Must agree to fingerprinting, criminal background check and a CRCP child registry check and successfully pass the checks.
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident, post-incident or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Addiction Research and Treatment Services Department Policies.
- Must be willing and able to work on weekdays from 6:00 am or until 7:00 pm, or from 5:30 on some Saturdays.
- Must be willing and able to be available to respond to on-call queries and requests on a 24-hour basis.
- Possess a valid registration in good standing with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) as a Certified Addiction Counselor (CAC) Level II or higher, or be eligible to obtain a CAC Level II certification or higher within six months of hire date.
- Possess a valid registration in good standing with the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), Licensed Social Worker (LSW), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) or a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree in psychology, social work, counseling, human services, or closely-related field.
- Experience working in a counselor role with clients who are involved with probation, human services, social services, criminal justice programs, and/or other referral sources.
- Experience conducting, leading, or co-leading group counseling sessions.
- Experience working in a counselor role with opioid-dependent, adult clients.
- Experience conducting individual and/or family counseling.
- Experience creating individualized treatment plans and other clinical documentation (for example, DAP notes).
- Experience with therapeutic confrontation and structures.
- Experience observing, monitoring and intervening in drug/alcohol treatment.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Ability to manage difficult behaviors
- Ability to engage substance dependent clients in treatment
- Ability to comply with established rules, policies and procedures and meet deadlines
- Ability to be open-minded and nonjudgmental
- Ability to develop healthy relationships with clients
- Ability to establish boundaries with clients
- Ability to exercise discretion (e.g. patient confidentiality)
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form, which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. 4) Copy of your diploma, transcripts, or certificate or be able to provide a copy by time of hire. Questions should be directed to Shingo Ishida at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled or until 30 applications have been received, whichever occurs first.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20280 - SOM-PSYCH-ARTS SP/G
Posting Date: Oct 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Shingo Ishida
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00670999