Research Instructor (Biostatistics Analyst)
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Endocrinology
Research Instructor/Biostatistics Analyst
Position #s [756927 and 756926] - Requisition # 
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
This position will provide biostatistics consulting and collaboration for cancer-related researchers at University of Colorado Comprehensive Cancer Center. This is a key research-faculty position for the Cancer Center Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Shared Resource (BBSR) in the Department of Pediatrics. This is a 1.0FTE (full-time) position. Please note, there are (2) current vacancies.**
The incumbent in this position will work with investigators on all biostatistical aspects of the research process including the design of new studies including investigator initiated trials (IITs), structuring data collection systems, data analysis, and preparation of abstracts, talks, manuscripts, and grant proposals. In this role, the BBSR faculty member will interact and collaborate primarily with other clinical faculty on applied cancer related research projects throughout the University. This position may also involve collaboration with other biostatistics faculty at the University. In addition, this position may include opportunities to teach special topic workshops or seminar series.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Perform data management and statistical analysis on cancer related projects for the University of Colorado Cancer Center as a member of BBSR
- Provide consultation on study designs including clinical trial designs
- Create prediction models using classic logistic regression or machine learning approaches
- Provide statistical consultation and data analysis to lung, breast, prostate, head and neck, colorectal and brain cancer-related projects
- Develop data collection processes and quality control procedures
- Conduct protocol review
- Assist with grant and trial proposal
- Provide manuscript assistance for abstracts and publications
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation for questions, please contact [email protected]
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- MS in Biostatistics, Applied Statistics, or related field
- Minimum of 2 years' experience in biostatistical consulting (*experience in a graduate assistant position or postdoctoral fellow position may be eligible for consideration)
- Minimum of 1-year experience in clinical trial designs and multivariate analyses (*experience in a graduate assistant position or postdoctoral fellow position may be eligible for consideration)
- Experience with SAS and R
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check and national sex offender registry check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of clinical trial designs and machine learning techniques
- Proficiency with statistical modeling techniques (survival, logistic regression, GLM and longitudinal data analysis)
- Proficiency with SAS or R statistical software
- Ability to learn new statistical analysis techniques
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe, and standard data presentation packages such as LaTeX, Knitr or Markdown
- Ability to handle multiple projects with various principal investigators simultaneously, within vigorous timelines
- Excellent written communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to write statistical sections within publications and grant applications that are appropriate for the target audience
- Ability to work collaboratively with minimal supervision and in a team atmosphere
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to create/maintain positive working relationships with investigators, faculty, and staff
- Strong attention to detail, with ability to problem solve and resolve questions/concerns with investigators, faculty, or other statisticians
- Highly responsive and communicative, which includes the ability to provide updates/detailed reports to investigators and investigators
- Prior experience in biostatistical consulting in an academic, hospital, health care field, contract research organization (CRO) or pharmaceutical setting
- PhD in Biostatistics, Applied Statistics, or related field
- Prior experience working on federal grants
- Prior experience in Git and Github for version control and Markdown for reproducible research
- Prior experience with DBMS such a REDcap and Oncore
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Kaitlin Norris, [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by December 26, 2018. Those who do not apply by December 26, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20971 - SOM-PEDS Endocrinology-GenOps
Posting Date: Dec 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kaitlin Norris
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00756926