Open Rank - Associate Professor or Professor - Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Tran
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
Open Rank - Associate Professor or Professor
Position #661325 - Requisition #15329
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Department of Pediatrics, Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation has an opening for a full-time Open Rank faculty member to join our team. this position will have approximately 75% time spent conducting laboratory research and 25% time spent practicing Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplant-Cellular Therapeutics independently in the inpatient and outpatient setting. Rank will be negotiated with the final candidate, the rank of Professor will be considered for those with additional academic accomplishments above and beyond the Associate Professor rank.
Examples of Work Performed:
Laboratory Responsibilities (75% effort):
- Duties in this faculty role include teaching, research, and supervisory responsibilities in an academic research environment.
- Lead a laboratory effort seeking to evaluate and/or discover new biological pathways and targets for innovation and potential translation to clinical application;
- Actively supervise and mentor graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, including offering career guidance and teaching;
- Actively supervise and mentor laboratory personnel such as professional research assistants and managers.
- Writing, submitting, and collaborating on grant applications to sustain on-going work and new projects together with other faculty members.
- Participate in clinical research activities, clinical care, and teaching.
- Provide comprehensive medical care to Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant patients and their families in both Inpatient and Outpatient Settings. Manages patient care in collaboration with other physicians, care providers and other members of the interdisciplinary teams;
- Duties in this faculty position include providing care in the outpatient clinic setting, clinical teaching, and inpatient service responsibilities.
- Participate in and actively supervise and mentor medical students, fellows, nursing or advance practice provider students, including clinical teaching and career guidance.
- Approximately 4 weeks per year coverage as the attending physician responsible for oversight of the inpatient Oncology services;
- Shared coverage in the Procedure Clinic approximately 6-10 times per year;
- Approximately one-half day per week of outpatient clinical coverage as the attending physician responsible for the outpatient Oncology clinic;
- Shared holiday and weekend call with other Hem/Onc/BMT-CT faculty members;
- Provide coverage outpatient clinics at Children's Hospital Colorado.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates may be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $271,290 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation (for questions, please contact Jessica Martella at [email protected])
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- MD or DO;
- Completion of an accredited training program in Pediatric Hematology, Oncology and/or BMT;
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology;
- Active or ability to attain an unrestricted Colorado State Medical License and DEA certification before start date;
- 5-7 years' work experience in an academic Pediatric Hematology/Oncology medical system with a national or international activity and reputation in the area of research focus;
- Peer reviewed publication record and presentations or membership on leading committees within the area of expertise;
- Have a record of academic accomplishments to merit appointment at the rank of Associate Professor.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a 10-panel drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal and sex-offender background check.
- Continuous Maintenance of board certifications after hire.
- Meet all of Children's Hospital Colorado credentialing requirements and continuous active medical staff status after hire.
- 7+ years' experience in independent care of pediatric hematology/oncology/BMT patients;
- Pediatric BMT subspecialty training;
- Record of successfully peer-reviewed grant funding in clinical research or laboratory work, which can support research activities, with preference given to candidates who have secured at least one cycle of renewed funding.
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to independently care for and manage complex Pediatric Hematology, Oncology, BMT patients in an academic setting; High customer service skills, team-based patient care, and ability to meet productivity targets; Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally; Ability to educate students, staff and fellow colleagues; Ability to work independently and as part of a team; Knowledge of a range of pediatric hematology, oncology, and BMT medical conditions; Ability to create strong, and respectful helping relationships; Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams; Ability to recover quickly, and to adapt to stress and adversity in the face of working with a medically fragile population; Commitment to Patient Safety, Quality Care, Communication and Customer Service.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Special Instructions to Applicants *Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. Questions should be directed to Lia Gore at [email protected]
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Dec 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lia Gore
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00661325