Grounds & Nursery I
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Grounds & Nursery I
Position #217733 - Requisition #15202
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Facilities Management has an opening for a full-time State Classified Grounds & Nursery I position.
This unit exists to care for and maintain all grounds areas of the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus and provide support to the Denver Campus, to provide a safe and attractive atmosphere for working and learning. This work unit also assists with the set up and tears down services for special events as well as disposal service for electronic, furniture, and computer equipment.
Examples of Work Performed:
Grounds Maintenance (70%)
Provide care and maintenance to the campus landscape areas including flowers beds, shrubs, trees, grass, irrigation system, weed control, landscape new projects, including frequency of task and expectations.
Trash removal, grass mowing, tree and shrubs trimming, tree maintenance and replacement, weed control, string trimming, aeration and fertilization system, basic equipment maintenance.
Snow Removal (15%)
Remove snow and ice from walkways, plazas, entryways, and others around campus, by using motorized tools or hand shovels. Apply ice melt when needed. Provide safety conditions to the campus community.
Event Setups and Other Duties as Assigned (15%)
Special events duties including setups and tear downs, emergency situations response, others. Participates and assist in emergency based on the magnitude and nature. Support various special events both in participation and during the event (i.e. Commencement) may be assigned other duties as required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Hiring Salary Range: $3,139-$4,000 / month (non-negotiable)*
- *The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
- Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
- Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
- Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
- Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
- Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
- Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application
- One year experience in grounds and nursery maintenance
- Must possess and maintain a current, valid State of Colorado Driver's License
- Must be a resident of Colorado at the time of application
- Must be willing and able to pass a criminal background check, motor vehicle check and drug test.
- Subject to pre-employment, post-accident, incident, or reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing per UCD Facilities Operations Department Policies.
- NOTE: This position has been designated as essential personnel, "Subject to call 24 hours per day, seven days per week" and may be required to carry a pager. Position may also be required to "Stay over late" or "Come in early" to "Cover" shifts, as needed and may be required to respond to any emergencies as needed. If hired, you will be required to provide effective off-hours phone contact info for emergency call-in purposes.
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 100 lbs. occasionally, and up to 50 lbs. frequently, and up to 20 lbs. constantly
- Must be willing and able to walk, stand, use manual dexterity, and eye/hand coordination constantly
- Must be willing and able to sit, climb, crawl, kneel, bend, reach, push, and pull frequently
- Must be willing and able to work outside, exposed to hot, cold, wet, humid, or windy conditions caused by the weather, and in high, exposed places
- Must be willing and able to work with others and effectively communicate verbally and in writing
- Must be willing and able to work in small, confined spaces and work around machinery or moving equipment
- Must be willing and able to work with toxic or caustic chemicals, and be exposed to radiant energy and electrical shock
- Experience managing multiple tasks and work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience working effectively with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Customer service experience and team oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds
- Excellent oral communication skills with the ability to handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively in written form which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors
- Troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Physical ability
- Computer knowledge
- People person
- Mechanically inclined
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until December 31st, 2018. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Facilities/Labor,Trades & Crafts
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 60104 - ADM AVCFO Grounds
Posting Date: Dec 11, 2018
Closing Date: Dec 31, 2018, 11:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Sean McBride
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00217733