Data Systems Specialist
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine, Cancer Center
IT Senior Professional (Data Systems Specialist)
Position #674809 - Requisition #15325
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Cancer Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) IT Senior Professional (Data Systems Specialist) position.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Cancer Center, located at the Anschutz Medical Campus, is Colorado's only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center, a distinction recognizing its outstanding contributions to research, clinical trials, prevention and cancer control. CU Cancer Center's clinical partner for adult care, University of Colorado Hospital is ranked in the top 15 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News and World Report and Children's Hospital Colorado is ranked 8th by the same organization in Pediatric Cancer Care. The CU Cancer Center is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network®, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers working to establish and deliver the gold standard in cancer clinical guidelines. CU Cancer Center also is a member of the Oncology Research Information Exchange Network (ORIEN), a unique research partnership among North America's top cancer centers leveraging multiple data sources and matching patients to targeted treatments. CU Cancer Center is a consortium of approximately 261 researchers and physicians at three state universities and three clinical institutions, all working toward its vision to prevent and cure cancer while being a global model for patient care delivery, interdisciplinary research, and training.
The Community Epidemiology & Program Evaluation Group (CEPEG) has an opening for a Data Systems Specialist (1.0 FTE) to build and manage data collection surveys, databases, and reports in several scripting languages for a variety of projects.
CEPEG at Anschutz Medical Campus conducts surveillance, research and evaluation to improve the health and wellbeing of populations and to advance health equity. We have extensive experience in chronic disease prevention, adolescent health, and tobacco control. Our expertise includes qualitative and quantitative methods, program and policy evaluation, technical assistance and training, and survey research. Past and current partners include the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE), other state health agencies, local, community-based organizations and health departments, private foundations and numerous hospital systems. For more information on CEPEG, please go to: http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/PublicHealth/community/CEPEG/Pages/CEPEG.aspx
The person who fills this position will be instrumental in working on new and ongoing survey and data collection activities and projects needing survey-, database-, and reporting-related services. The Data Systems Specialist will have various levels of responsibility for coordinating with existing staff and working independently on specific assigned tasks, as determined by the appropriate project manager. This professional will be responsible for data stewardship through the life cycle of a project's data needs. This could include data collection (via Qualtrics, CATI/SENSUS, MS-Excel, and/or flat-files), data scrubbing and storage (within the departmental SQL Server data warehouse), DataMart production/management, data export/reporting (using SQL Server tools, MS-Access, and reporting designer software), and other documentation for principal investigators, project managers, and other staff, and will assist with other project needs as assigned.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Coordinate with project staff and the Senior Data-Systems Specialist to develop new data collection tools in Qualtrics;
- Program new data collection tools in CATI/SENSUS for a telephone survey project;
- Customize data import scripts provided by the Senior Data Systems Specialist;
- Work with Data Analysts to clean and reformat data storage in the SQL Server data warehouse;
- Export data subsets for a Project Manager's use;
- Coordinate with the Senior Data Systems Specialist and University IT to provide data for the CEPEG Web Portal;
- Participate in data and programming quality-assurance processes;
- Write new reports for PDF distribution using SQL Server Reporting Services or similar report design tools.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
A bachelor's degree in computer science or a directly related field from an accredited institution and three (3) years of professional level experience that included:
- Three (3) years of experience using the SQL Server DBMS;
- Two (2) years of experience using the Qualtrics Survey design/management system, or similar survey toolkit;
- Two (2) years of experience using a modern reporting/analysis application, such as SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal Report, Tableau or similar software; and
- Two (2) years of experience working with data collection and analysis projects.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis, but not for the required experience.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Four (4) or more years of experience using the SQL Server DBMS.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in the following:
- Qualtrics Survey design/management system.
- Modern reporting/analysis application, such as SQL Server Reporting Services, Crystal Report, Tableau or similar software.
- CATI/SENSUS survey system.
- Data collection and analysis projects.
- Higher education, healthcare or related industries.
- Preparing and maintaining user and systems documentation.
- Microsoft MTA/MCSE Certification in SQL Server.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively within teams on data-related aspects of projects.
- Abilities to design, build, manage and document data-related services, such as:
- Data collection using technologies such as Qualtrics, flat-file transfers, CATI/SENSUS, manual data entry, etc.;
- Data transfer coordination between various platforms, such as MS-Excel, MS-Access, CATI, SAS, SQL Server;
- Data quality control, including data scrubbing and transformation;
- Data storage management, using technologies such as SQL Server, MS-Access, MS-Excel, etc.;
- Data reporting and business intelligence analyses, using technologies such as SQL Server Reporting Services, MS-Access, and MS-Excel.
- Excellent analytical and communications skills, including written and verbal communications.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by December 24, 2018. Those who do not apply by December 24, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20066 - SOM-U of Colo Cancer Center
Posting Date: Dec 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Michele Kimminau
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00674809