International Faculty; Department of English; English Composition (R-01318)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Full-time Instructors of English (Composition and Global Business English) on annual international assignment for Fort Hays State University (FHSU) stationed at Sias International University (http://en.sias.edu.cn/) in Henan Province, China or at Shenyang Normal University (http://www.synu.edu.cn/synuen/p1.html) in Liaoning Province, China, with opportunity for annual renewal.
Each faculty position in China is an annual assignment as a non-tenure-track instructor, subject to annual review with possibility of continuation.
- Master’s degree in English, TESOL, TEFL, Linguistics, Applied Linguistics or related field from regionally-accredited university.
- Must be able to provide proof of a minimum of 24 months full-time teaching experience.
- Successful candidates must be eligible to legally work in the United States and also be able to apply for and receive a Z visa, residence permit, and work permit in China. Candidates must meet employment regulations to work legally in China with a Chinese work visa, which has age restrictions (currently, no work visas are being issued to foreigners over the age of 60) and various health and education authentication requirements. FHSU will outline these processes, as well as assist in acquiring and paying for these documents.
- PhD in English, TESOL, TEFL, Linguistics, or Applied Linguistics or related field from a regionally-accredited university, from a regionally-accredited university + CELTA or other equivalent certification.
- One to three years’ experience in teaching college composition and/or ESL/EFL writing is preferred.
- Familiarity with teaching ESL/EFL students, international students, especially Chinese students; prior experience working abroad; strong teaching, communication, and cross-cultural skills.
RANK: Instructor (MA/MFA) or Assistant Professor (PhD)
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 8, 2019 for fall semester
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority given to applications received before February 1, 2019
SALARY: $33,000 USD
Benefits Provided by Fort Hays State University:
• Transportation to China to begin the semester.
• A $2000 stipend for return travel on the faculty member’s own schedule at the end of the academic year.
• Health, retirement, and associated benefits package.
• A $200 one-time payment for costs associated with attaining work permits.
Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
Additional Benefits Provided by Sias International University:
• Free housing in the faculty apartment complex located on the Sias campus. Furniture and air conditioning included. Stipend for utilities. Bathrooms include Western-style toilets. Spouses and children are permitted to live with FHSU faculty members stationed at Sias.
• Meals are provided in the faculty dining hall and include both Western and Chinese selections. Food service is available three meals a day, seven days a week during academic semesters.
• Holidays as stipulated by laws of China, as well as most typical Western holidays.
• Gym, indoor pool, spa, and other similar fitness facilities available for a small membership fee.
• Sias-sponsored cultural and historic experiences in China.
• Exposure to a diverse international community of faculty, students, and visitors.
• These benefits are subject to change by Sias, but have been in place for many years.
Additional Benefits Provided by Shenyang Normal University:
• Free housing on the SNU campus. Furnishings include a kitchen, flat-screen TV, and air conditioning. Some utilities are covered; a stipend is provided for Internet access. Bathrooms include Western-style toilets and a washing machine. Spouses and children are allowed to live with FHSU faculty members stationed at SNU.
• Holidays as stipulated by the laws of China.
• Gym, indoor pool, spa, and other similar fitness facilities available for a small fee.
• Exposure to a diverse international community of faculty, students, and visitors.
• These benefits are subject to change by SNU, but have been in place for many years.
This position entails a 4/4 teaching load, consisting of four sections (up to 30 students in each) per semester of courses taught by the English department, including English Composition 101 and/or 102 and Global Business English courses, following FHSU Department of English policies and procedures for these courses. Other duties include department and university service (90% Teaching; 10% Service).
After training in Hays, the faculty member will teach classes face-to-face for FHSU in Xinzheng, China or Shenyang, China. The faculty member will live on campus among other FHSU international faculty. All courses will be delivered in English.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and two current letters of recommendation. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF; recommendation letters may be uploaded separately.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Jason Harper, Chair of the International English Composition Search Committee
About the Department:
The English Department at Fort Hays State University offers a Bachelor of Arts in English with three concentrations: Literature, Teaching, and Writing. Our innovative Master’s program allows students to enroll year-round or summers only, which enables working teachers to complete the degree in only two summers’ residency. The English Department has been an integral part in the university’s international programs, offering our Composition sequence and the Global Business English degree in our cross-border program. In addition, the department offers courses in the general education program including the first-year composition sequence and interdisciplinary courses, as well as ESL courses for the university. For more information about the department, please visit https://www.fhsu.edu/english/.
About the College:
The College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences is composed of eleven departments, all of which focus on gaining a deeper understanding of human persons and human purposes through exploration and development of creativity, communication, rational reflection, behavior, and shared experience. For more information about the college, please visit https://www.fhsu.edu/coas/.
About 15 years ago, FHSU became one of the earliest universities approved by the Chinese Ministry of Education to offer dual Western/Chinese degrees in China. Currently, the institutions offer several dual bachelor degree options. All instruction is conducted in English, so while familiarity with the Chinese language is not required, it is helpful. In addition, FHSU faculty in China enjoy on-the-ground access to research opportunities and other scholarly activities, including access to FHSU’s online research databases. Over the years, faculty members have developed unique quantitative and qualitative data sets while working in China, and have been productive scholars during their employment.
About the Sias International University Community:
Sias is located in Xinzheng, a growing city in the Henan Province of China. Sias is approximately 45 minutes south by car from Zhengzhou, the capital of Henan Province. Sias is a private university founded in 1998 by Dr. Shawn Chen, a dual citizen of the United States and the People’s Republic of China. Sias supports the greatest number of foreign faculty of any university in China: more than 180 English-speaking, foreign faculty members teach at Sias. This environment offers a unique opportunity for faculty members to interact with academic professionals from around the world. Sias has a close relationship with the State of Kansas: Henan Province and Kansas are sister states, while Hays and Xinzheng are sister cities.
About the Shenyang Normal University Community:
Shenyang is the capital city of Liaoning Province and hosts a population of approximately 8.5 million people. Shenyang offers numerous fascinating cultural activities connected by a modern subway system. As the transport hub of Northeast China, Shenyang is served by air, rail, a two-line north/south east/west subway system, an extensive network of streets and expressways, and bus service throughout the city. A new tram network system offers inexpensive subway-to-airport transportation. SNU is a Tier-2 public university with an expansive, beautiful campus and affords a tranquil, independent working environment. FHSU has a long-standing, productive relationship with SNU.
About Fort Hays State University:
Founded in 1902, FHSU is a leading, forward-thinking university of the Midwest, with student enrollment of more than 15,500 (including 4,500+ on the Hays campus, a unique China partnership program with enrollment of 4,000 students, and Virtual College enrollment at over 7,000). Over 400 faculty and more than 500 professional and staff support and guide degree and certificate programs for the associate’s, bachelor's, and master's programs, and for the Doctorate of Nursing Practice, representing 31 departments within these academic divisions:
- College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- W.R. and Yvonne Robbins College of Business and Entrepreneurship
- College of Education
- College of Health and Behavioral Sciences
- Peter Werth College of Science, Technology, and Mathematics
- Graduate School
Fort Hays State University provides exceptional opportunities for students from Kansas, the region, and the world, and the University attracts goal-oriented students who want premier learning experiences both inside and outside the classroom combined with one-to-one attention and support. FHSU students graduate with the knowledge, professional skills, and confidence to have a competitive edge in their chosen careers. Upon graduation, 95% of FHSU students find a job or placement in graduate school.
About Hays, Kansas:
Candidates will discover a locale where professional satisfaction and career achievement are paired with an optimal quality of life. Fort Hays State University is located in Hays, Kansas, a vibrant, growing community of over 20,000 that takes great pride in the University's presence. Hays is a celebration of historic and contemporary contrasts, evidenced in its frontier roots highlighted throughout the city and local museums and in its redeveloped downtown area where residents enjoy one-of-a-kind restaurants, unique shopping, and a vibrant arts scene. This community’s commitment to the future inspires Hays businesses to reinvest locally.
A welcoming and family-centered community, Hays offers premier healthcare services, a growing high-tech and retail business community, and excellent Pre-K and K–12 schools in both the private and public sectors. The City of Hays has long been known as a safe community, and the FHSU campus is recognized by the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018 as one of the Top 100 Safest College Campuses in America. For entertainment, recreation, education, employment, or simply for a comfortable place to live, residents of all ages will find in Hays the elements that contribute to a safe, enjoyable, and fulfilling lifestyle.
Notice of Non-discrimination: Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.