Senior Programmer & Analyst
The Senior Data Programmer & Analyst in the Advancement Technology Design team will work under the general direction of the Director of Technical Architecture in the development, delivery and support of major technical goals and toolsets that enable the business of Advancement at the University of Colorado.
This role will work collaboratively across functional areas and as part of project teams as a subject matter expert on subjects including, but not limited to:
- Streamlining and/or automating repeatable processes
- Extending existing toolset functionality
- Ensuring business toolset continuity
- Integrating with partner toolsets
- Creating new toolsets
A successful candidate will be a flexible, experienced programmer with a multidisciplinary background. The candidate will also have a healthy appetite for challenging the status quo, looking beyond the obvious, and influencing change across a distributed system. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Review, develop, design, test, implement, and maintain complex applications and new reports (or modifications of existing reports) for end-user production from within the Ellucian Advance alumni/donor database system, Business Intelligence, supporting infrastructure, and toolsets, as well as other applications in support of the University of Colorado's Advancement organization.
- Perform analyses of all areas of the advancement information systems (Advance, Cognos, and others)to determine best path forward for programming
- Recommend improvements in departmental business processes, methodologies and operations to affect operational efficiencies through the use of the data system(s).
- Participate in the ongoing definition and execution of the University of Colorado Advancement's technology roadmap in accordance with the strategic plans of the Advancement Operations team and University Advancement as a whole.
- Estimate effort and impact of proposed action plans and requests with discreet task lists inclusive of downstream impacts to partner tools and organizations.
- Assess risks in projects and work requests and develop recommendations for mitigation.
- Ensure that documentation and work instructions on solutions and services provided are available to personnel using those services
- Lead development and document specifications for product enhancements, bug fixes, and modifications.
- Define task with fellow programmers and analysts in accordance with departmental priorities in an environment of high change.
- Provide timely reporting on status, risks, accomplishments, and decision points to project and organizational stakeholders.
- Assist with support of the core suite of technology (i.e., troubleshooting, updates, etc.) - Ellucian Advance and related tools.
- Monitor and participate in relevant listservs (Ellucian and others), training opportunities, user groups, publications, and professional groups to maintain a strong knowledge of trends in the fields of advancement, database and systems management and administration.
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of IT practices
- Knowledge of reporting and data analysis
- Ability and skill to analyse data and determine trends and errors
- Ability to identify inefficiency and recommend solutions
- Ability to manage task initiatives to ensure deliverables are on time
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and manage frequent requests from all levels of users each having their own timelines and constraints
- Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities
- Ability to interpret and evaluate user requirements and produce and analyze data
- Skilled in technology development, design, testing, implementation, and maintenance
- Effective written and oral communication skills and interpersonal/customer-relations skills
- Effective presentation skills to clearly articulate technical and business process-related concepts to groups and individuals with varying ranges of technical literacy.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education or equivalent professional experience in system and database management, programming and data/reporting analysis experience. (The educational requirement may be substituted with professional experience on a year for year basis).
- Five (5) years of experience in database management, programming , and/or data/reporting analysis, which must include:
- Experience implementing and supporting enterprise systems and solutions
- Database programming and design in Oracle
- Leading IT and development projects from conception through delivery, including oversight of documentation, project communications, vendor interactions and testing
- Three (3) years of experience with the following languages: SQL and PLSQL
- One (1) year experience with Shell Scripting (PowerShell, bash, KSH)
- Experience with Ellucian Advance, BlackBaud, or similar donor/alumni relations database
- Experience with other development languages/environments, such as:
- Business Intelligence (Cognos, Tableau, etc)
- Integration Toolset(s) (Oracle OSB, Oracle ODI, or similar)
- Salesforce (Admin, Apex, Etc.)
- Experience working with distributed code control toolsets (e.g. git, bitbucket, VSS, etc)
- Experience working in a university environment
- Experience working in a fundraising environment
What we offer: Salary:Salary is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by October 23, 2018. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50206 - Advancement Operations
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Joshua Brumley
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00001463