Engineering Support Services Advisor
Job ID: 24787
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3082
Department: Engineerng Student Success Ctr
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Salary Range: $4,179/month - $5,942/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Student Support Services, the Engineering Support Services Advisor will work under general supervision to provide individual and group advising to students in the College of Engineering. The incumbent will also provide leadership in the development, coordination and implementation of college-wide life-skills and career services. The advisor will also support college and campus wide events on behalf of the college.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Provide individual and group advising services that facilitate student success, persistence and timely degree completion.
- Assists students with development of basic employment transition plans including building resume/portfolio preparation, professional ethics, interviewing, and networking competencies.
- Provide confidential and accurate advising, support and guidance to specific undergraduate student groups including AB540 and DACA.
- Collaborate with Career Center, Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Office, Engineering Student Success Center and other campus partners in the development and implementation of targeted, on-going professional development and career development services and activities for undergraduate students in the College of Engineering.
- Initiate and build collaboration with institutional and industry partners to facilitate student access/knowledge of career opportunities.
- Recommend improvements to services in collaboration with staff.
- Serve as representative of the College of Engineering to the university and community at large.
- Manage recruitment. selection, training and supervision of assigned Peer Advisors.
- Maintain accurate service/participation data and compile statistical reports.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a job-related field and two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field. A master's degree in a job-related field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
License & Certificates
A valid driver's license is required for this position. Out of state candidates selected for the position must obtain a State of California driver's license within 10 days of hire in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles regulations.
Once hired the employee must successfully complete the Defensive Driver Training Program provided by the State of California for California State University campuses.
- MA/MS Degree
- 1 year with direct experience in advising, career services, or higher education.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to appropriately handle sensitive information and communications with students, parents, employees and external agencies.
- Ability to coordinate academic and non-academic events.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed for special events.
- Ability to drive on university business.
- Ability to maintain a valid driver's license.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required.
- Knowledge of related software applications (e.g. word processing, spreadsheet, presentation software, CMS, etc.).
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements.
- Ability to collect, compile, analyze, and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data.
- Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned.
October 9, 2018
Application Screening begins October 26, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046