Executive Assistant to the Dean
Job ID: 24785
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1038
Department: College of Engineering
Classification: Adminsitrative Analyst/Specialist, Exempt II
Salary Range: $4,693/month - $8,242/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the college dean, the Executive Assistant (EA) enhances the dean's effectiveness by working with the dean to advance the college's strategic plan. The EA provides information management support by drafting documents and memos; preparing reports and presentations; and collecting and analyzing information to advance the college's Strategic Plan. Conducts research and analyzes confidential information to support college personnel and student planning. Maintains dean's schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, small to medium size events, and travel. The EA performs duties independently to achieve specified outcomes and may represent the dean to others when appropriate.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Leads special project assignments and research projects for the dean which advance the college's Strategic Plan impact on the college, including researching and reporting on college student statistics and writing reports for VIP college endowment donors.
- Analyzes and prepares reports using data from the institutional effectiveness and analytics website.
- Manages consultants providing support for strategic planning processes.
- Responsible for planning and designing, implementing and managing small to medium scale events for the college's internal and external constituents for events such as: naming and stewardship events, industry advisory board meetings, all college welcome back meetings, corporate and peer institution visits.
- Works closely with the communications specialist to recommend, research, and prepare materials for presentations.
- Monitors the dean's incoming correspondence; determines the urgency level of a response and as appropriate develops and disseminates information on behalf of the dean which may include critical, confidential and/or sensitive information and situations.
- Manages the dean's calendar including scheduling one on one meetings; small and large meetings with internal and external entities.
- Manages the processes for: department chair elections and reviews; faculty reassignments; and college representatives on university committee elections.
Education and Experience
A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training and four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs.
- Experience providing high level administrative support.
- Excellent technical office skills - ability to develop presentation materials, create and analyze spreadsheets, merge data, and calendaring.
- Experience preparing high level written and electronic correspondence.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Maintains effective working relationship with the dean to understand and carry out directives independently.
- Investigates and analyzes problems with a broad administrative impact and implication.
- Champions the College's Strategic Plan and understands College's organizational culture.
- Manages projects and delegates tasks to office staff and student assistants.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs and/or administrative specialties, including pertinent laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated expertise in and advanced knowledge of the principles, problems, and methods of public and business administration and operational and fiscal management.
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations. Demonstrated consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Maintains confidentiality and exercise mature judgment to appropriately handle sensitive communications with students, employees and external agencies.
October 9, 2018
Application Screening begins October 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a driminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046